Saturday, November 9, 2013

Book Review: The Eldritch Conspiracy by Cat Adams

The Eldritch Conspiracy
Author: Cat Adams
Publication: Tor Books; Reprint edition (January 29, 2013)

Description: Celia Graves was once an ordinary human, but those days are long gone. Now she strives to maintain her sanity and her soul while juggling both vampire abilities and the powers of a Siren.  

Not every bride needs a bridesmaid who can double as a bodyguard. But Celia's cousin Adriana is no ordinary bride: she's a Siren princess, and she's marrying the king of a small but politically important European country. She's getting death threats from fanatics who want to see the whole Siren race wiped out—including Celia herself, who is half Siren.

Luckily, Celia is on duty when a trip to a bridal salon is interrupted by an assassination attempt, so everyone survives. When Adriana returns to the Siren homeland to try to prevent a coup, Celia is free to hunt for the terrorists and the vile mage who is helping them (while keeping her eyes open for the perfect maid-of-honor dress). 

Assuming the bride and groom both live to see their wedding day, this will be one royal wedding no one will ever forget.


My Thoughts: Celia's life just seems to get more and more complicated! After a difficult case rescuing people from drug dealers and vampires in Mexico and breaking off with her boyfriend Creede, Celia arrives home just in time to get involved with her cousin's royal wedding. Celia is the niece of the Siren high Queen but is just getting used to that idea. When she was almost turned into a vampire, her Siren powers manifested too. Now her cousin Adriana needs her because seers have predicted that something would go wrong at the weddings if Celia isn't there.

The problems start early. Who knew that finding the right bridesmaid's dresses would bring on an assassination attempt? Luckily, Celia is there to foil it. Besides the security issues surrounding two weddings - one on the Siren's island home and the other in the groom's home, Celia has to deal with a jealous former girlfriend of her old friend and love Bruno.

The story is packed with action. The fanatics who want to rid the world of Sirens and who have enlisted the help of a demon to do so make really convincing villains. I like the relationship that Celia has with her friends Dawna and Gilda and Isaac Levy. They make good substitutes for her dysfunctional and estranged grandmother and mother. I liked that her relationship with Bruno is being rekindled but I don't think John Creede is ready to fade off into the sunset.

I recommend this fascinating urban fantasy story to fans of the genre.

Favorite Quote:
But I was especially careful crossing the parking lot and I used the little button a friend in the FBI had given me to make sure nobody had tampered with my car.

It's not paranoia if they're actually trying to kill you.
This one has been on my TBR mountain since I bought it in January. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!