Sunday, January 26, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 27, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

We began our second semester last week. We started with two days of teacher workshops where I learned a lot about vocabulary and some about the new teacher evaluation process that will start in Minnesota next school year. I also had some time to plan for the new classes I'd be seeing.

We only had one ordinary day this week. Wednesday is our scheduled late start day to allow PLTs to meet. What that means for my schedule is that I don't see my first class at the Elementary. Our Reading Interventionist is covering for me so that I can have a lunch break. Then on Thursday, we had a two hour late start because of extreme wind chills. Friday was the first day that was ordinary. Needless to say, I don't feel at all comfortable with my new schedule yet. I kept a post it note front and center last week so that I knew when classes began and ended.

Hopefully, this coming week will let me get used to the new schedule.

Last Week:

Extra planning time and meetings cut into my reading time this past week. Here is what I finished:
From my TBR mountain:

Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews was a fun, new urban fantasy which introduced a new character and a new world. I really like this author's style. My review will be posted on Feb. 8.

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price is the third book in her Alex Craft urban fantasy series. I love the way the main character is growing and changing in this series. My review will be posted and Feb. 13.
From the Review Stack:

Grandmaster by David Klass was an excellent story about the relationship between fathers and sons all centered around a chess tournament. I really liked the main character and his father. My review will be posted on Feb. 13 for this Feb. 25 release.

Runner by Patrick Lee was a wonderful thriller. It was fast-paced and I really liked the main character. My review will be posted on Feb. 15 for this Feb. 18 release.

Currently:
I am just getting ready to start Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci. I got this ARC at ALA in June and hope to have a chance to meet the author in March. This YA science fiction book will be released on Feb. 25.

Next Week:

All of these are from my review stack as I try to finish reading my February review books.
Shame on You by Tara Sivec is a romance I got from Montlake Romance and is a Kindle ARC. 

A Taste Fur Murder by Dixie Lyle is also on my Kindle. I got this cozy mystery from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. 
Unforgotten by Jessica Brody is the sequel to Unremembered. I got this ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group. 

Burn Bright by Bethany Frenette is the sequel to Dark Star. I got my eARC from Disney Hyperion via NetGalley.

Reviews Last Week:

What was last week like for you?

24 comments:

  1. I have just one book with me. Its proving to be "different". Enjoy the week. January is almost gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Taste Fur Murder sounds like my kind of mystery! Thanks for the heads up. =)
    Diana @ Book of Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh even a cozy in the mix!
    Hoping those schedules keep you on track -
    Happy reading =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting used to new schedules can be a challenge for awhile! I go back to class next week! Just sorting out the class library and weeding out books that don't get read.
    Clean Sweep looks like an enticing read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover for A Taste for Murder. A little creepy, but in a good way. Enjoy!

    Take a look at what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh nice! I am really hoping that the next book in Kalayna's series comes out this year! Really for both of her series! Happy Reading this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, amazing books you have there!! Happy reading!

    This is what we are reading this week.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your reading. I'm curious about A Taste fur Murder.

    My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/01/sundays-weekly-book-recap-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids go back to school mid week- finally! I hope you enjoy your reading this week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked Runner too. Grandmaster caught my attention. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have A Taste Fur Murder waiting to be reviewed too. It really looks good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your schedule improves! "Normal" can be so nice....

    Enjoy your books...I'm very curious about Runner. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is never nice when a whole schedule is messed up. Hope it will get better! Enjoy your books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grandmaster sounds interesting. Do you think it would be appropriate for a 4th grader or is the content better for teens? Runner sounds like something I'd like to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you're still in the deep freeze too. Another snow day for us today, yikes. I've seen Runner pop up on a few blogs now and it sounds like a fun thriller. Will watch for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not heard of any of those books. I hope you enjoy all your reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This weather is crazy! We haven't had a full week of school since December. Stay safe and warm!

    A Taste Fur Murder sounds cute! I love cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Ilona Andrews, especially the Kate Daniels series. I'm trying to keep myself from starting new series right now. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think reading four books during a crazy week is really good! I hope you get into the swing of your routine this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to give Ilona Andrews a try. Good luck with your new schedule, and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen Runner on a few blogs this week. Hope you settle into your new schedule quickly but wow you still read heaps for being so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not read anything by Ilona Andrews but I keep eyeballing her books. You have an awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All of the books listed in your post this week are new to me (love it when this happens). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!