Monday, May 26, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 26, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Just eight days this year left with students and one more teacher day before I begin my summer vacation! The rest of my school year is filled with meetings, activities, and a retirement luncheon. The Wellness Committee is feeding us a couple of times and the District is feeding us once. The end of the year is a time for fellowship and food at my school district. The weather has been lovely this past week. 

I spent a quiet Memorial Day weekend reading, blogging and playing games. I didn't travel because I'll be heading North for a nice long break in just a couple of weeks. The relaxing weekend gave me time to get lots of reading done.

Read Last Week
On the Road to Find Out by Rachel Toor was a great coming of age story. Despite my disinterest in running or rats, I found the story absorbing. My review will be posted on June 6.

The Quick by Lauren Owen was an interesting but largely forgettable historical paranormal. I found the large number of viewpoint characters made it hard to care about any of them. My review will be posted on June 12.
Jessie Elliot Is A Big Chicken by Elise Gravel was a cute middle grade graphic novel that was a surprise addition to my stack from Macmillan. Middle graders should enjoy it. My review will be posted on June 4.

Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dollamore was an interesting fantasy story about a girl who is trying to help her mother and, with companions with agendas of their own, starts a revolution. My review will be posted on June 12.
I read two equally engaging mysteries this week. 

That Night by Chevy Stevens tells the story of a woman who spent 17 years in prison after being wrongly accused of the death of her sister. It was told from her viewpoint and switches back and forth in time from the time of the murder to the present day. My review will be posted on June 14.

The Body in the Woods by April Henry tells the story of three teens who are members of Mutnomah County's Search and Rescue team and what happens when they find the body of a teenager on their first real SAR outing. It is a great story about friendship and a fast-paced mystery too. My review will be posted on June 14 for this book too.

Currently
Since I'm quite a bit ahead on my review books. I decided to go browsing my TBR mountain for most of this coming week's books. I am currently reading Shadow Spell by Nora Roberts which is the second book in her Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy.

Next Week
I'm pulling more books from my TBR mountain for this week. I have a few review books to read this week too. I got The Inventor's Secret by Andrea Cremer at her signing and have been eager to read it. The Things You Kiss Goodbye by Leslie Connor is the review book that will finish my June YA books.
The Collector is Nora Roberts' most recent romantic suspense title. I have been eager to read it since it arrived and hope to get to it this week.

The Garden of Stones by Mark T. Barnes is a review book. This is the first book in an epic fantasy series. I got it for review along with the rest of the series from Amazon via NetGalley. If I enjoy it, I will continue on and read the next two books.

If these don't work for me, I'll go browsing my TBR mountain again.

Reviews Posted


I hope you had a great week too. Leave me a link so that I can check out your plans.

16 comments:

  1. Great line up! I'm really excited to read That Night. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Night sounds interesting! Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to decide whether to read The Collector or listen to it on audio. Glad you enjoyed The Body in the Woods, I'd like to read it. Countdown to holidays, have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh nice! I keep debating over The Inventor's Secret! Will definitely look for your review later on! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a big reading week ahead of you, I hope you enjoy these books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice line up of books to help you finish out the school year. I read Shadow Spell earlier this month. Love that part of Ireland (actually, I love all of Ireland). I spent a week at Ashford Castle many years ago and went back years later for dinner. It's a beautiful place.

    My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/weekly-book-recap-68.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the Road to Find Out Sounds delightful. I read her memoir called The Pig and I many years ago and liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read my copy of The Collector...soon? And I need to read Dark Witch, so I can move on to Shadow Spell.

    I LOVED That Night...hope you enjoyed it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog...and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Night sounds really good to me.. I'll look for your review!

    Sounds like you had a very peaceful holiday weekend. Good luck with the end of the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Dark Metropolis' looks amazing! I also find that sometimes too many viewpoints are a problem because you never get attached to any of the characters! The Inventor's Secret cover looks very steam-punk, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy all of them!
    My Monday posts
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...great week and nice week coming up.

    I will be looking for your thoughts on THAT NIGHT. My review will be up in June as well.

    Have a wonderful reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a pretty great way t spend the long holiday weekend. We had company so didn't read much, but it was nice. Heading north sounds good, I like being up north in the summer.

    The Body in the Woods sounds really good, I'm interested in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dark Metrolpolis and The Inventor's Secret caught my interest but they all sound pretty good. Glad you enjoyed your weekend and reading. I try to balance review books with TBR but it doesn't always work. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy end of the school year! The Collector was pretty good. I just started listening to Dark Witch. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have The Quick coming up, but it seems like most reviewers are pretty ambivalent about it. I hope you have a great week and good luck trying to make a dent in TBR mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you really read a lot in a week! Looks like a nice mix of books. I read Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor years ago and LOVED it - will have to check out this newer one.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - come back if you'd like to join the Big Book Summer Challenge - you only need to read one book of over 400 pages this summer to participate, and you don't have to say which one(s) ahead of time - easy!

    Sue

    2014 Big Book Summer Challengel

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!