Thursday, August 28, 2014

Book Review: Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay

Books Can Be Deceiving
Author: Jenn McKinlay
Series: A Library Lover's Mystery (Book 1)
Publication: Berkley; 2nd Print edition (July 5, 2011)

Description: Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person.

My Thoughts: BOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING was an entertaining cozy mystery. Lindsay is new at the Briar Creek Public Library. She came there after losing her job in an academic library and shedding her cheating fiance.

Her best friend Beth is the children's librarian. Beth is also an aspiring author who is dating a famous children's author. When Beth shows her portfolio to a visiting editor, she is surprised to be called a plagiarist because her boyfriend Rick is set to publish an extremely similar book. When Beth visits the now ex-boyfriend with Lindsay and a local ship's captain, she finds that he has been brutally murdered. The local police chief is convinced that Beth is the murder.Since Lindsay refuses to believe that Beth murdered her plagiarizing ex, she begins her own investigation and discovers interesting and disturbing things about Rick.

I liked Lindsay's new group of friends at the library. The book had some laugh out loud moments when describing Lindsay's attempts to learn the various crafts that were done as a part of the crafting book club. I liked the references to other books and authors. I liked that Lindsay knew the favorite authors of many of her patrons. I liked that Lindsay was beginning to feel at home in Briar Creek.

Fans of cozies and libraries will enjoy this entertaining story. Interesting additions to the book include a discussion guide to one of books the book group discusses, a knitting pattern for the hat Lindsay makes, and a recipe for hot chocolate which was served to Lindsay by the boat captain Sully after a harrowing experience.

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing," Violet said. "But...um...what are you knitting it for?"

"My dad."

"Oh, so he is real," Nancy said. there was a twinkle in her blue eyes that should have warned Lindsey, but she missed it.

"Of course my father's real," she said.

"Wow, so how does it feel to be a descendant of Bigfoot?" Beth asked. She muffled her laughter with her knitting.

"What?" Lindsey asked and then looked at the sock on her two circular needles and frowned. "Oh, you. It's not that big."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite cozy series! I had forgotten I had the latest on my TBR. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to get going on this series again.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!