Monday, February 6, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Feb.6, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

This week was as crazy as I thought it would be. Last Monday we had a version of Parent-Teacher conferences wherein letters were sent to parents of students who struggled the first semester inviting them to come in. I didn't see one person who was not employed by my school district from 3:30 until 7:30. I did manage to get caught up on grading, plan a couple lessons, and finish reading my current review book.

Tuesday was normal but Wednesday was unique in a way I don't want to experience again. I had my first group of sixth graders in the Media Center at 11 AM when the school called for an internal lockdown. At first they called it a drill but it went on and on. We had the students in lockdown until 3:08 PM when they finally released them to catch their buses home. Besides my 6th graders, we also had about twenty other students in the Media Center when the lockdown began. Luckily, the staff restrooms are inside our locked doors so I didn't have more than 40 kids sequestered with no access to a restroom. Also, I had computers and books to entertain the kids while we waited and waited in an information vacuum for something to happen. Needless to say, I never made it to the Elementary for my afternoon classes.

However, the lockdown was ended just in time for my after school meeting which we moved to the Elementary since the Elementary members of the committee were reluctant to come to the high school building. When I finished that meeting I came home and had about an hour before my annual townhouse association meeting which lasted until 9:30.

Thursday and Friday were blessedly normal and this weekend is giving me a chance to finally find some reading time.

Read Last Week
Purr M for Murder by T. C. LoTempio was a nice cozy mystery with touches of humor, the beginnings of a rekindled romance, and lots and lots of cats. The book will be released on March 14 and my review will be posted on March 11.

Currently
I am currently reading Signature Wounds by Kirk Russell which is a thriller I chose from Kindle First. It will be released on March 1.

Next Week
I'm reading review books next week (except I probably won't be able to resist the new In Death book by J. D. Robb when it hits my Kindle on Tuesday.)
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

All Kindle books this week!
  • Echo of Danger by Marta Perry was a book that caught my eye when I was looking at NetGalley for my auto-approvals.
  • Doc by Mary Doria Russell was a Kindle daily deal that I have been wanting to read.
To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

23 comments:

  1. Since I have never heard of a lockdown in my country, just explain in the next post why the school was in a lockdown. I thought it was only if there was danger to the students with a gunman running amok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh nice! Some new to me ones there! I loved Kelley's book though! I pretty much always love her books though! Lol! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a week you've had! I'm sure that lockdown was scary. I'm glad everyone was safe. I've had those type of parent open houses where no one shows, and I get a lot done, too.

    I've seen The Cutaway, and it caught my eye. I'll look for your thoughts on it. I hope this week is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness no one was hurt and nothing bad happened at your school, but how stressful for you!

    I have Darkness Absolute to read next on my kindle, and Signature Wounds looks intense to me. Hope this week is calm and peaceful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I thought I had a busy week! Sounds like a bit too much excitement last week for you.

    Looks like you have a great variety of books going - enjoy them this week!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow none of the people who got letters came in? And school lockdowns are getting more and more common it seems like.

    I think A Darkness Absolute will be my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purr M for murder sounds great with lots of cats. I hope you have a normal week all week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the lockdown was scary. I'm glad you had a few things in the library to keep the students entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, I hope this week is calmer for you than last week! Looks like you've been reading some great books; I've added a couple to my TBR.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Happy reading!

    ~Marie @ Ramblings of a Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, no explanation for the lockdown? I think I would be freaking out, but then again, I guess schools are very vulnerable places these days.

    I am curious about Signature Wounds. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a week! Hopefully next week goes more smoothly.
    Heh, if I'm ever in need of a thriller rec, I think this is where I should come. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad that you are ok!!! I want to read that cat murder book. I love cats, they are my favorite. I put it on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - sounds like it was a busy week for your school wise, I can sympathise being a Teacher too.

    I'm glad to hear you got some important down time at the weekend to read.

    A lovely assortment of books listed this week Kathy - all are new to me. Enjoy!

    Thanks for stopping past my blog too.

    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kathy,

    Wow! You certainly had a busy few days, I bet you were glad of a quiet weekend to recoup.

    You have some great books in your schedule. I particularly have my eye on "A Twist Of The Knife" and "A Darkness Absolute".

    I don't know of either author though and as the books are not the first of a series, it would be good to know if you think they work well as stand alones, or if I need to start the series by going back to the debut story for each?

    Thanks for sharing and it is good to catch up with you again after all this time :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last week was a bit chaotic here as well. I had three parent-teacher interviews at my younger daughter's school and then had to race to my older daughter's school for another six interviews! It made for a long day. We had a tornado lockdown as well, which I don't really get since we don't have tornados here!! Oh, well. I guess it's always good to be prepared for any disaster. Hope you have a more peaceful week. I'm interested in the Kelley Armstrong book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh I've heard about Kindle First, I'll have to check it out. I've been looking for a good thriller! Hope you have a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a week. I'm with you on not being able to resist the new J.D. Robb when it comes out but I have review books I need to read so we'll see who wins.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like books with pets and see a few here. I hope you enjoy all your reads and have a better week with no lockdowns! Thanks for stopping by too.

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a crazy week. I hope this one is more calm for you. I love JD Robb's books too but I am not current. I really need to get caught up so I can be excited when her new ones come out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So does that mean the parents didn't come in. That would certainly be disappointing when you are there to help their children. Hope all was okay with the lockdown situation.
    You got some good books. Tor has a free monthly book? I need to check that out. My Hubby gets the Kindle First list and I need to start checking those.
    The Purr for M cozy looks cute.
    Hope you enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like a stressful time of it! Purr M For Murder looks right up my street. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lockdown sounds terrifying!!! I'm glad you're all okay and that the rest of the week was quieter! I hope this week is more settled.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!