Monday, November 20, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Nov. 20, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet week. I did venture out to the Mall a couple of days just to walk around. I have been logging really pathetic totals on my FitBit since retirement and need the exercise. Cold weather and slippery footing are preventing me from walking outside since I am definitely a fair weather walker.

I added another recipe to the "keeper" file when I made Five Ingredient Enchiladas this week. I am also looking for a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies and tried the original Toll House Cookie recipe this week. They're okay but I have a few more recipes I want to try before deciding on a favorite. Since the recipe made about 6 dozen cookies, I won't have to try another for quite a while.

I am really missing baseball but managing to watch enough TV with The Voice, Food Network and a few food shows on the Travel Channel.

Read Last Week
Prince in Disguise by Stephanie Kate Strohm was from my review stack. This was a great romantic comedy that takes place in Scotland. Dylan is there for her sister's wedding which is being filmed as a reality TV show. Dylan doesn't want her new romance with Jamie to be on the show though. My review will be posted on Dec. 15.

Almost Everything and Almost Final Curtain by Tate Hallaway are the final two books in the Vampire Princess in St. Paul YA urban fantasy. They were enjoyable stories with romance, excitement and humor. My reviews will be posted on Dec. 8 and Dec. 13.
Heartstone by Elle Katharine White was a fantasy take on Pride and Prejudice with dragons and lots of other mythical creatures too. I enjoyed it. My review will be posted on Dec. 14.

Killman Creek by Rachel Caine was from my review stack. This thriller finishes the story begun in Stillhouse Lake. It was a very fast-paced read. My review will be posted on Dec. 13.

The Prisoner of Limnos by Lois McMaster Bujold is the latest novella in the Penric and Desdemona  series. It was a great story written with Bujold's signature wit and style. I won't be reviewing it on my blog but have given some brief thoughts at LibraryThing and GoodReads.

Currently
I was browsing my Kindle while out shopping and needing to fill a little time and chose Crimson Death by Laurell K. Hamilton. It wasn't until I got home that I learned that it had 717 pages. Kindle books are so deceptive that way.

Next Week
Two from TBR mountain:
Newer Arrivals:
Reviews Posted

On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
On Inside of a Dog:
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
New Review Books:
What was your week like?


17 comments:

  1. Love Karen White's books. The House on Tradd Street is very enjoyable.

    Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wide variety of tempting books. I love Karen White's books, and I must read my copy of Stillhouse Lake...soon!

    Great idea about walking in the mall. Our summers are too hot and the neighborhood dogs a bit fierce...so I don't like walking near my house.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at fantasy take on Pride and Prejudice. I would read anything that mention my favourite book/ movie of all time. I also see we have a look of books in common on the read/ TBR front, can't wait for your thoughts on Baby I'm Howling for You and I'm heading over to read your review of Haven now.

    You should also share that Enchilada recipe! Happy reading.

    - Kris (Words That Fly)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austenland is so much fun! I have Hesartstone on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked on the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for about ten years. I entered my recipe in a contest at our Wal-Mart and won second prize. It’s a pretty good recipe.

    Enjoy your reading and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fair weather walker, too, and the recent snow and ice has made it difficult to walk outside. The mall is a great idea and I've done that a few times. What I'm really looking forward to is heading to Florida after the holidays though ;-) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My exercise has taken a dive as well lately. It's just so hard to get out and walk when it's cold and snowy. I ended up just taking my Fitbit off because the numbers were low - plus it doesn't fit well under my winter coat. I have yet to find a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. There are plenty out there, but so many of them are just okay.
    So happy to see Tangled Tides in your list of books. I love that series and it's the perfect time to read it since the final book came out last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I lived near the mall so I could walk there. I have a good recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, email me if you want it.Have a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Fitbit died over the weekend. I couldn't do anything to get it back, so I'll be getting a new one soon. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I are both reading Sweet Shadows soon. While you're looking for the perfect chocolate chip recipe, we're working on the perfect chocolate cake. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to get back into my Laura K Hamilton series. I used to read each book as it came out be havent in yearrrrssss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read two books by Karen White and enjoyed them. With the cold weather I'm not out walking as much, which I need to do. Enjoy your reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use a couple of walking DVDs when it is too dicey to walk outside during the winter. Jessica Smith is great for me. Enjoyed Now That You Mention It, know you will too. Do you like crispy or chewy cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh enchiladas. Yum. And Heartstone and Killman creek do both look good. Rosemarked I think is on my TBR too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your week, Kathy. Mall is one of my main destinations when I feel like to exercise. Hehe.. I usually end up spending more money out of budget though. 🙈
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy your books this week and have a wonderful week. Happy reading. ❤️😁

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruggle's books always look lovely. Ahh, yes. I'm definitely a fair weather walker. lol Too hot in the summer then gets WAY too cold. Grocery stores and Walmart become my friends :) Hope you're having a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Heartstone! I loved it, and I'm glad that you did, too! And Crimson Death, I enjoyed it, it is long though! Looks like you had a great week! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!