Monday, July 1, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 1, 2019)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

Our solar panels were attached to the power company's grid on Tuesday this week. It has been fun seeing how much power we are making and sending back. It has helped that Saturday was the first day this year that I turned on the air conditioner.

Saturday was also the day I visited the Rhubarb Festival. This annual event raises money for a coalition of Duluth churches to use in their support of the homeless and hungry. I came home with a nice pan of rhubarb crisp. They had bunches of rhubarb pies too but my brother doesn't eat pie and I can't eat a whole one before it spoils. I didn't stay too long. It was awfully warm for a person who prefers cooler weather and indoor pursuits.

This was one of my largest book hauls of the year. I am trying to complete series and relying on Amazon Marketplace to find books. I think I have all the MacNeal books and Robertson books now. I am only buying hardcovers to replace paperbacks in the King series and think I have all of them now too.

June Reading and Purchases

I read twenty-four books in June for a total of 8540 pages. With only 7 review books on my stack for the month, I chose 17 from my TBR mountain. Most were recent arrivals but 5 had been lingering for a number of years. The only disadvantage of digging deep into TBR mountain was learning that the books either began series or trilogies and I wanted to keep reading in the series. Sixteen of the books were ebooks and three were YA titles. My genre of the month was Mystery with sixteen of them read.

I added 43 books this month to my LibraryThing account. Eleven of them were review books of which I have read two. I added 23 ebooks which includes all of the review books. I added four SYNC audiobooks. Currently, 35 of the new additions are still waiting for me to read them. I have added quite a few to my calendar as I plan what I'll be reading in September and later in the year.

I have added 192 books so far this year. 84 of them are still unread but 34 of them are review copies that will mostly be read sometime in 2019. I have read 171 books so far this year and am at 73% of my Goodreads goal. I set the goal for 20 books a month and do plan on increasing it but perhaps not to 2018 levels when I read 360 books.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • Death in a Budapest Butterfly by Julia Buckley (Review July 30) - Disappointing cozy mystery where the information about Hungarian culture and myths overwhelmed both the mystery and the romance. My review will be posted on July 25.
  • Lake Silence by Anne Bishop (Mine - reread) - This favorite book acted as a "palate cleanser" after the disappointment of the preview book.
  • Reflex by Dick Francis (Mine) - I just got the Kindle copy and took the opportunity to reread one of my favorite mysteries by this author. My review will be posted on July 27.


  • The Chase by Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg (Mine since June 25, 2014) - The second Fox and O'Hare thriller has lots of fast-paced action, quirky side characters, and great dialog. My review will be posted on July 28.
  • I, Robot: To Protect by Mickey Zucker Reichert (mine since Nov. 1, 2011) - Interesting and thought provoking hard science fiction that begins a trilogy. I bought the rest because is want to know how the story works out. My review will be posted on July 30.

Currently


Next Week




Reviews Posted




Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Bought:












SYNC Audiobooks:


Review:


What was your week like?

8 comments:

  1. The Paris Spy looks intriguing. I wonder if it takes place during World War II. There have been lots of historical fiction involving Paris and WWII lately, I think.

    The solar panels are fascinating to me. We got double-pane windows last week, and I’m astonished at how much cooler it keeps our house. In the summer it’s generally in the low 90’s every day, so our air tends to run a lot, despite our live oak trees.

    You are an amazing reader. I read a book a day in June, but I bet my page count was half of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great June! I love the look of all your books. I especially love the cozies :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting to have the solar working and with your need to use an air con then it makes total sense to have solar. ( I kinda want them too, maybe one day).You get a lot of reading done, I don't think I could settle into a book for that long in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the solar panels...and all those books!

    Rhubarb pie...wow! I haven't had that in years. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 24 books- wow! That's a lot! And yay for the solar panels being operational. How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love rhubarb but haven't had any for years. My mom makes a wonderful rhubarb cake. Great job on all the reading in June. My reading has slowed a bit but now that it is hot out, it may pick up a bit more. have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear the solar panels are working. I have a hybrid car and I love watching the battery gain and use. Gas mileage at 48mpg is nice too.
    Yikes - your reading has already exceeded my yearly goal.
    So many books to choose. Decisions, decisions. :-)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!