Monday, July 6, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 6, 2020)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This has been a week of record-breaking heat here in Duluth, Minnesota. After not reaching 90 for three years, we have had three days with temperatures in the 90s and have set two temperature records. I have been spending most of my time in my air-conditioned home. Most 4th of July public activities have been cancelled already because of the Corona Virus and I wouldn't have attended any had they been held since I'm not a big fan of crowds in the best of times.

This has been another week of listening to a lot of audiobooks as I finished the Alpha and Omega series and started a very long science fiction series. I don't know how many of them I will get in that series though. The first couple were $1.99 for the audiobooks because I already owned the Kindle copies but the price has jumped to almost $18 for additional titles. I might be able to get a better price if I buy the Kindle and add on the audiobook. I have all of these books already but mostly in paperback or hardcover since I purchased them as they were published and will probably go that route.

You might notice that I have really stretched out the dates when reviews will be posted. I keep track of my posts on a Google calendar. The first thing I do is slot in dates for the review books on my stack. Then I fill in around those review books with my own books. All of the audiobooks I've been reading lately have ballooned my scheduled posts to 27 and will give me at least some posts finished already that won't show up until October. It's kind of confusing doing things this way because I also have 5 books still to read for July and I'm really used to reading books in the order they'll appear on my calendar. But once I get hooked on a series, I want to finish the series before moving on to something else.

I also spent some time this week setting up posts for the rest of July and August since I wanted to do that before being forced to switch to the New Blogger. I took a look at it but couldn't figure out how to create a new post. After exploring the Help section, I learned I wasn't alone in my problem but the answer was easy once someone shared the trick. I still feel better knowing I have a bunch of posts ready for my review though.

June Reading

I read 33 books in June. Twenty-one if them were audiobooks. All of the audiobooks were rereads though I read most of them a number of years ago. Twenty-six of the books I read were my books and 7 were review books.

I added 37 books to my collection in June. Nineteen of my new additions were audiobook and 5 were review books. Fourteen of the new arrivals are still TBR.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • Burn Bright by Patricia Briggs (Mine; Audiobook) - The fifth in the Alpha and Omega series has Bran away and Charles in charge. It concerns the wildlings - werewolves who are very old and not in control of their wolves - and a traitor in the pack. Entertaining and engaging. My review will be posted on Sept. 16.
  • Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu (Mine) - This one has been on my stack since July 2009 and is the first in the Dirk & Steele urban fantasy/paranormal romance series. It was enjoyable and entertaining. My review will be posted on July 11.
  • A Call to Duty by David Weber and Timothy Zahn (Mine; Audiobook) - This is classic military science fiction and takes place early in the Honorverse. It tells about the early days of the planet Manticore and the development of the Maniticoran Navy and follows the story of a young man named Travis Long. My review will be posted on July 16. 


  • A Call to Arms by David Weber, Timothy Zahn & Thomas Pope (Mine; Audiobook) - This is the middle book in the Manticore Ascendant series and follows the further adventures of Travis Long. It is filled with military details, political infighting on Manticore, and a galactic plot to take over the planet. My review will be posted on September 17.
  • A Call to Vengeance by David Weber, Timothy Zahn & Thomas Pope (Mine; Audiobook) - The final book in the Manticore Ascendant series has more military action, political infighting, and galactic plotting. The series ends but with lots of questions left to be answered. My review will be posted on Oct. 7.
  • On Basilisk Station by David Weber (Mine; Audiobook) - This is the first book in the Honor Harrington series. It is set on Manticore about 500 years after the events of the Manticore Ascendant series and is the first of what is currently a 14 book series and another spin-off series of 4 books. My review will be posted on Sept. 22.

Currently


Next Week
Reviews Posted


Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?



  • A Call to Arms by David Weber, Timothy Zahn & Thomas Pope (Audiobook) - Manticore Ascendant #2
  • A Call to Vengeance by David Weber, Timothy Zahn & Thomas Pope (Audiobook) - Manticore Ascendant #3
  • On Basilisk Station by David Weber (Audiobook) - Honor Harrington #1



What was your week like?

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! All new to me reads here. I hope you enjoy your picks for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to listen to science fiction on audio, too, but I guess I will never get around to the Honor Harrington series, especially if it's that long! I want to listen to the Ann Leckie books, but I'd better start soon before she writes more!
    My It's Monday post was late (again):
    http://baystatera.com/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-7-6-20-imwayr/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!