Sunday, September 14, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Sept. 15, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

The Renaissance Festival was fun. I did lots of walking and lots of eating. The weather was gorgeous with sunny skies but a nice breeze to keep it from being too hot. It was great to see all the people in costume and to see all the different crafters. I managed to walk 10000 steps which made it a very unusual Sunday.

My Driver's Improvement class was interesting. There really wasn't any new information. But it is good to be reminded every few years about how to be a safer driver.

Our weather has turned very fall-like. We have had chilly days and really cool nights. Great sleeping weather but I wouldn't have needed to pull out the fall jackets quite so soon. This coming week doesn't look much warmer. Temperatures are supposed to be in the 60s all week here.

This coming week I have a road trip up to the Red Balloon Bookstore on Tuesday after work. Kelly Barnhill will be there signing her newest book. I just read Iron Hearted Violet this summer which had been on my TBR mountain for a while and enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to meeting her and getting her newest book for our library.

After that, my week should be quiet. I hope to fit in lots of reading time.

Read Last Week
I got the novella prequel to Suzanne and Melanie Brockmann's YA debut - Dangerous Destiny - this week and read it right away. I have already read the novel. This was a good introduction to the novel and would give the reader a flavor for the writing and characters in the story. I reviewed this one at Amazon and GoodReads but not on my blog.

Stitching Snow by R. C. Lewis was a science fiction story about a princess in hiding until she is dug out by a young man who wants her to lead a revolution. I enjoyed both the epic science fiction plot and the romance. My review will be posted on October 15.
The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter was an entertaining historical fantasy about a young scholar who inadvertently gets swept up in a plot to kill the king. It was well-done. My review will be posted on October 9.

Midnight Betrayal by Melinda Leigh was an excellent romantic suspense title that I got from the author for review. The book was released on Sept. 2 and my review will be posted on September 17.

Festive in Death by J. D. Robb is the 39th book in a very entertaining futuristic mystery/romance series. I always look forward to each new book and really enjoyed this one. My review will be posted on October 22. My GoodReads, LibraryThing and Amazon reviews have already been posted. 

Currently
I am currently reading Atlantia by Ally Condie. It won't be released until Oct. 28 but I got the eARC from Penguin's First to Read program as a file on Adobe Digital Editions and it will be expiring in just a couple days. 

Next Week
These three young adult review books are next on my stack.

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch came to me via Edelweiss.

Chasing Power by Sarah Beth Durst came to me via the author and NetGalley.

Centaur Rising by Jane Yolen came to me as a print ARC from Macmillan.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
What is in the plans for your week? Leave me a link and I'll be glad to visit your blog and see.

14 comments:

  1. The festival sounds wonderful and 10000 steps a big plus! I haven't read the mother/daughter Suz and Melanie Brockmann, but have thought about it. I can't remember if you did a review of the novel, I'll just go looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay just seen Night Sky doesn't come out to next month, however thanks for the link to the novella and I picked it up for $0 so that was cool. :)

      Delete
  2. OOh nice! I wanted Atlantia myself but didn't get it from Penguin! No matter, I have plenty review books as it is! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have a book line up that gets me oohing and ahhing. Glad you had a fun time at the Renaissance Festival, I'd be in heaven ... photographer's heaven lol. Good on you with the 10,000 steps too. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want to read the Brockmann's YA series. Looking forward to Festive in Death. I always set aside an afternoon when an "In Death" book arrives as I know I won't want to put it down. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you the fall and the Renaissance event...your bookstore upcoming jaunt sounds so great....enjoy!

    I also loved Midnight Betrayal....and I'm curious about Allie Condie's books...thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're having the same kind of weather here, cooling off but almost too much so at night. Glad you enjoyed the Ren festival, we're still trying to get to ours but every weekend something comes up. The Midnight Queen looks interesting.

    Will be very curious to see what you thunk of Atlantia, i like the underwater angle and wondering if it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stitching Snow and The Midnight Queen sound pretty intriguing as does Melinda Leigh's books. Thanks for sharing them. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Ren Faire. I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoy your YA selections

    Happy reading!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of your titles, but Stitching Snow's cover catches my eye. I usually enjoy YA books. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous that you're reading Atlantia. I need to go check out your thoughts on jd robbs book, see what you thought vs me

    Here's My Monday post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Midnight Queen sounds good and I love the cover of Centaur Rising. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read Stiching in Snow.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!