Thursday, June 11, 2015

Book Review: Clockwork Secrets by Dru Pagliassotti

Clockwork Secrets: Heavy Fire
Author: Dru Pagliassotti
Series: Clockwork Heart, Book 3
Publication: EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing (July 31, 2014)

Description: Framed for regicide and trapped on a ship crippled by enemy fire, Taya and Ondinium’s diplomatic contingent seem helpless to prevent the well-engineered war their enemies have put into motion. While Alzanan and Demican armies march across Ondinium’s borders, Taya and her husband fight airborne battles from the tropical islands of the Cabisi Thassalocracy to the war-ravaged mountains of Alzana. When Taya falls into her enemy’s hands, she fears that nobody will be able to save Ondinium from the devastating weapon about to be plunged into its mechanically ticking heart.

My Thoughts: This book starts at an execution, quickly transitions into an ambush, and leaves our heroes on the run, accused of regicide, and trying to get out of enemy territory. Taya and Cristof have been sent to Alzana to try to prevent them from going to war with Ondinium. However, it turns out that they were just buying time for their country to dig out old weapons and prepare for the war.

They manage to get to another country - Cabisi - while they are fleeing from Alzanan forces in their aircraft. Cabisi sells weapons to the Alzanan; weapons which are going to be turned on Ondinium. Taya and Cristof have to get back home before the enemy gets there and sets off a bomb that will destroy the Great Engine. Along the way they rescue one Alzanan princess and kidnap another.

This book as air battles, land battles, daring deeds, and all sorts of characters who each have their own agendas. I like the relationship between Taya and Cristof. I like the way they are learning to care for each other's needs. Taya and Cristof don't look at the world in the same way. Taya is more optimistic and more religious. Cristof is much more cynical.

This was an interesting fantasy series that had some wonderful steampunk elements.

Favorite Quote:
"I'm not going to stand here and have a religious debate with you while you're dying!"

 "What better time? This is the second time I've come face-to-face with my own mortality. I'd say it's an eye-opening experience, but..." he gestured wryly.
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!