Monday, August 24, 2015

Sunday Post/It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 24, 2015)

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was my last full week of summer vacation. Next week I'll be packing up and moving back to my school year home. That means a day mostly spent driving back home, unpacking, grocery shopping, cleaning, and a dentist's appointment. I do plan to fit in reading around those other activities.

This week was a cold one here in Duluth. I was almost tempted to turn on the furnace on a couple of our chilly mornings. But it did mean good reading time. My brother and I went out to lunch for the last time this summer. We hit Shorty's in Superior, Wisconsin, because it had been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. This one was a complete success. We were both happy with our sandwiches and the french fries were the best I've ever had.

Also to get ready for the busier school year, I spent Saturday setting up blog posts for November and early December. I currently have 63 scheduled posts and have set up the review posts for the next sixteen books on my stack.

Read Last Week
Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal is the second book in her Glamourist Histories. This one finds Jane and Vincent in France just as Napoleon has escaped from Elba intent on reclaiming his empire. Vincent is kidnapped by Napoleonic forces that want to use a glamour he has invented leaving a pregnant Jane to try to rescue him though she is unable to use her glamour. My review will be posted on October 10.

Dead Ice by Laurell K. Hamilton is the latest in her Anita Blake series and a typical Hamilton book: lots of talk about sex, huge cast of characters, and zombies. My review will be posted on October 15.
I finished the Arcadia Bell urban fantasy series by Jenn Bennett this week.

Binding the Shadows saw Cady and Lon strengthening their relationship while dealing with problems like Lon's ex-wife showing up for Christmas, a new drug in town the supercharges demon Knacks, Cady's exponentially increasing powers, and numerous enemies who want Cady under their control or dead. My review will be posted on October 17.

I immediately started reading Banishing the Dark after finishing Binding the Shadows (Can you say cliffhanger ending?). This was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy. Cady and Lon are trying to track down the spell her mother used to create her. They need to reverse it to break Cady's mother's hold on her or Cady will lose her soul and lose all the ones she loves. My review will be posted on October 24.
Nine Lives by Wendy Corsi Staub was a review book I got from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley. This was an entertaining cozy mystery that takes place in a town full of psychics and mediums. My review will be posted on October 22.

Currently
I am back to TBR mountain for my current book. Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones is the second in the Charley Davidson urban fantasy series. This one arrived on my Kindle this year when it was an Amazon Daily Deal.

Next Week
I have two review books for this week. Both are from NetGalley.

The Reluctant Duchess by Sharon Cullen is a historical romance that will be released on November 10.

Dark Turns by Cate Holahan is also a November 10 release. This one is another mystery from Crooked Lane Books.
I also hope read a couple from TBR mountain too. Both of these are Kindle books that are second books in series that I purchased this summer because I finally read the first books in those series and really enjoyed them.

When Gods Die by C. S. Harris is the second in the Sebastian St. Cyr historical mystery series.

Blood Cross by Faith Hunter is the second book in the Jane Yellowrock urban fantasy series.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

I didn't purchase any new books this week. But don't worry that I will run out of reading material. Currently LibraryThing shows me that I have 1501 unread books (not counting unread YA books).

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

10 comments:

  1. 63 Posts scheduled?! I'm so impressed, I have none!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 63 posts scheduled? I am impressed. Are you and Anna at Herding Cats twins? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy this last week before school starts. We don't start until Sept. 8 and I am glad since I'm having a hard time getting back to my normal routine after being gone for four weeks. I just started Magic Shifts, so I will wait to read your review. Love the Charley Davidson series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last week of summer is always bitter sweet. It is exciting to get back into the routine, but sad to leave the leisure.

    Have a wonderful school year. I have been retired for three years, but still miss it a little bit when the new school year rolls around.

    ENJOY your reading week. Our weather has been on the chilly side at night too.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh nice! Hope you enjoy the new school year!

    I love the Charley Davidson series though I find myself very behind on it! Hope you enjoy your lovely reads this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed with how much you have pre-scheduled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - 63 post scheduled. I manage by posts day to day. Ha Ha.
    I hope you are enjoying the Charley Davidson stories.
    I am interested in the C. S. Harris series. I might try it on Audible.
    Enjoy your last week of summer vacation. Hard to realize you are ready to turn on the boiler while we are still coping with high 80s.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll echo everyone else--63 posts scheduled? I think I'm doing great if I get two ahead! And then I slack for a week and eat even that little bit of a cushion up. Oh well. I'm impressed! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How on earth did you manage to get 63 posts scheduled, I'm lucky to get a week scheduled :)

    Great mix of books this week, I will definitely have to check some of them out. Thanks for stopping by my haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My summer vacation was over in July, we started back to school too early this year. 63 posts, that's awesome! I want to work on getting a bunch done in November so that when I do NaNoWriMo, I have less blogging to worry about.
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!