Monday, April 3, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (April 3, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

This week saw the end of the third quarter of the school year. I used the workday to plan all the activities that my fourth and sixth graders will be doing until the end of the year. I am almost finished getting everything ready to go for those two groups. I also have Kindergartners and First Graders but they don't require as much planning.

On the home front, I decided what books will be filling out my calendar through June and pulled them onto a bookshelf in my living room. Then I packed all the rest of my TBR room (11 small Uhaul boxes) and a friend and I began to pack my other library getting through authors A - G. I was concerned about piles of boxes all over the place but had a brainstorm and used the closet I had emptied of office supplies for all 24 boxes packed today. The painter will be coming May 22 - 26 but isn't going to be painting inside the closets. I'm glad to find a way to get stuff packed but still out of the way.

We emptied the bookshelf she will be taking when she can corral extra muscle and her dad's pick-up truck. She's hoping to get the shelves one day next week when her son is home to visit. We'll continue packing books next Friday. Meanwhile, I'll continue to work on sorting through other stuff like the buffet in my dining room. A casual glance this evening showed that I had even more Harry Potter stuff than I remembered. I may have to devote a room to displaying all of my Harry Potter memorabilia. It's interesting to unearth the history of my obsessions from Star Trek to Highlander to Harry Potter.

I like this slow packing thing I have going on. I think that I am more thorough and more thoughtful than I would be if I tried to pack everything in just a few days while counting down to the arrival of the moving truck.

Read Last Week
Change Agent by Daniel Suarez was a fast-paced hard science fiction story about a near future Earth where genetic engineering has progressed to such a degree that a person can be totally remade down to the DNA. Our hero wants his DNA and his life back, especially since, he is now genetically one of the world's most wanted criminals. My review will be posted on April 12.

Kale to the Queen by Nell Hampton was a cozy set in Kensington Palace where a young American chef gets the job of cooking for the duke and duchess of Cambridge. However, she needs to solve the murder of one of her assistants before she can concentrate on her new job. My review will be posted on April 13.

Currently
Finding Gideon by Eric Jerome Dickey is next on my stack. It will be released April 18.

Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I couldn't pass up getting a copy of Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way when it was a Kindle daily deal.

I also added Bad Housekeeping by Maia Chance to my review stack while browsing at NetGalley. It will be released on June 13.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

19 comments:

  1. I always find it hard to get in two reviews per week- I'm sticking to one per week for now- hopefully I can increase the level during the summer vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that starting your packing early and doing it slowly is the best way. It also gives you time to purge so that you're not moving any junk with you. You seem like a very organized teacher! Hope your end of school year goes well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Packing is such a big endeavor. I'm glad you have some help and some time to get it done!

    Bill Bryson is supposed to be great, but I haven't read any of his books yet! Is he a frequent author for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always preferred slow packing, too, and when I was selling my house (ten years ago!), I did that. Good idea, finding that closet to store boxes.

    You are very organized, which is a good thing.

    Enjoy your week, and I love the look of Bad Housekeeping.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of books to pack! A room dedicated to Harry Potter sounds like a dream come true though. :) Great selection of books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to say, "Kale to the Queen" is a FABULOUS title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding Gideon sounds good. Looking forward to your review. Have a great week, Kathy. :)

    Anyway, I'll stop by on your YA blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you're busy but I agree- packing slow and methodically has rushed packing beat every time. :) Unfortunately I haven't mastered that skill yet ha ha.

    Change Agent is one I think I saw here and I'm strongly thinking of trying that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! All new to me ones except for Chloe Neill's book! Hope you enjoy all of these as well!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Later today I'm beginning with the packing up of read books, keeping the TBR books in the living room. I read pretty quickly. Then as we have a more concrete plan for moving, I'll pack up the rest.

    It's Monday, What Are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate packing. I have to do that soon too, as we will be selling this house. Good luck with it all!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been really busy. I'm trying to clean out closets now, but it's a slow go. We're in the last 9 weeks of school, and I'm so ready for it to be over. This has been a hard year with the students I had. Take a good long rest after all is done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly have been busy. A Harry Potter memorabilia area sounds nice-and Star Trek too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are able to take your time packing. Love the idea of a room devoted to your "obsessions".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the packing story and your great idea.

    Marvelous idea to get all the books until June organized too. I love being organized. :)

    ENJOY your week and your books.

    Happy end of third quarter. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your organisational skills book/reviewing wise, I need to take some tips from you!
    Great selection of books this week, a real mix of genres, finding Gideon catches my eye. Will look out for your review.
    Wishing you a happy reading week :-)
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you are making good progress getting everything packed up to move. You definitely have things well organized. Good job. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, packing slowly is giving you time to look over your things carefully and considerately. :) It must be fun to find all your treasures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard good things about the Innkeeper Chronicles series. I bought the first one, Clean Sweep, on Audible. I need to listen to it! Have a great week! I'd love to see pics of your Harry Potter memorabilia. My daughter is a Trekkie, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!