Friday, December 20, 2019

Friday Memes: Redshirts by John Scalzi

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
From the top of the large boulder he sat on, Ensign Tom Davis looked across the expanse of the cave toward Captain Lucius Abernathy, Science Officer Q'eeng and Chief Engineer Paul West perched on a second, larger boulder, and thought, Well, this sucks.
Friday 56:
"I didn't know he was rated to fly a shuttle, either," Finn said, from his seat. His anxiousness was needing a release, and talking seemed like a better idea to him than wetting himself. "And I've known him for more than a year.
This week I am spotlighting Redshirts by John Scalzi which has been on my TBR mountain since June 5, 2012. Here is the description from Amazon:
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship's Xenobiology laboratory.

Life couldn't be better…until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed.

Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy below decks is expended on avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Redshirts is the winner of the 2013 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I've been reading more Sci-Fi lately so I'm definitely gonna add this to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if this one is for me but I hope you enjoy it! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this one. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are finally getting down your TBR pile. I don't date how long books have been in my piles, but it is such a relief when I finally get to a book that has sitting around for a lot of years. Happy Holidays! My Friday quotes from WITH THE FIRE ON HIGH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww now I want to read this one as well! Great choice.

    Here's my Friday Post. Hope you have a happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might not be for me, but I hope you enjoy it now you have gotten around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this book, but I like that opening! It sounds interesting. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to the audio version of this one and loved it. I hope you enjoyed it, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!