Monday, February 10, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Feb. 10, 2020)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

This was a quiet week. We had some sunny days that let us make some power and then it snowed lightly all day Friday adding 2 inches to our total. I did get out to exercise twice last week.

I have been interested in trying out audiobooks and have been wondering the best way to listen to them. I know that my phone wouldn't work since it isn't really a smart phone. I looked at the Amazon Fire tablets but didn't really want one more new device which I would really only use for audiobooks since I already have a Kindle and a laptop. I did discover that I could use my Kindle if I bought some bluetooth headphones which arrived on Friday. Then I tried out the Audible free trial and chose the first two books in The Others series since I think I'll do better listening to books I've already read before trying something new.

Thus far I am enjoying the audiobook experience but... has anyone noticed that as soon a you put on headphones someone always wants to talk to you. My brother and I can live in the same house and not talk for hours USUALLY. This morning he wanted to talk about planning menus for the coming week. We did get menus planned out until next Saturday and are trying a few new recipes. Of course, I needed to make hamburger buns for tonight's dinner and I was short on bread flour. My brother also made a grocery list for the other ingredients for this week's new recipes and just got back with everything a few minutes ago.

This week I have my annual physical and my annual mammogram and luckily the weather is supposed to be good those days with snow coming later in the week. I'm counting down the days until the baseball season starts. Just a few more weeks...

I also have planned out my March reading but need to make the blog posts that I can do before reading the books. I'm trying to mix up an assortment of review books, new arrivals and some that have been lingering on TBR mountain for a while.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green (Mine) - This was a very interesting science fiction story with engaging characters. My review will be posted on Feb. 15.
  • Pretty As A Picture by Elizabeth Little (Review; Feb. 25) - Fascinating mystery with a really unique main character. My review will be posted on Feb. 18.
  • Firewatching by Russ Thomas (Review; Feb. 25) - First in a new British mystery series that had interesting characters and a compelling plot. My review will be posted on Feb. 19. 


  • False Value by Ben Aaronovitch (Review; Feb. 25) - Most recent in the Rivers of London series which combines mystery, police procedural, and magic. My review will be posted on Feb. 20.
  • Still Life by Louise Penny (Mine) - The first in the Inspector Gamache series was an entertaining mystery. My review will be posted on Feb. 22.

Currently

  • I'm at 45% of The Pillars of the World by Anne Bishop which is the first of the only one of her trilogies that I haven't read.

Next Week

  • Shadows and Light by Anne Bishop (Mine) - 2nd book in the Tir Alainn trilogy.
  • The House of Gaian by Anne Bishop (Mine) - final book in the Tir Alainn trilogy
  • Wicked Bite by Jeaniene Frost (Mine) - latest urban fantasy from a favorite author

Reviews Posted




Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?




What was your week like?

14 comments:

  1. Though they aren’t for me, I’m glad you are enjoying your audiobook experience.
    I look forward to to your review of Pretty As a Picture.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Still Life, and I am curious about Pretty as a Picture.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice! I'm itching to read Jeaniene Frost's Ian books! I need to get a bit more caught up on my review books before I take that side road though! I'm getting through my last March book then I have another April plus a few Junes to read and THEN I can pick it!! Lol.

    I hope you enjoy the reads lined up for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried audiobooks but it depends on the book. Some I just can't concentrate on, but I've started walking and I'm thinking I should get back into it. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad you are discovering Louise Penny and audiobooks. Actually, you should try that series as audiobooks, at least the first seven books or so, until they change the narrator, when Ralph Cosham passed away. His voice was so perfect for Gamache!
    After that, I decided to read and no longer listen to them, as I thought the next narrator's voice was too rough for Gamache's contemplative and compassionate character.
    I think the mystery genre works perfectly in audiobooks, though I have also enjoyed nonfiction.

    My most favorite audiobook of all times is Ready Player One. The narrator is just brilliant.

    You know you can download apps from your library on your device and from there listen to audiobooks from your library for free, and without even having to go to your library.
    I do have a subscription, because I like to listen to French audiobooks, and my library carries them only in English and Spanish. I use eStories for these, which is basically the same as audible, but $5 cheaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got snow too but luckily not too much. Just enough to be annoying. :)

    Love the look of False Value!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of audiobooks, but for some reason I have a horrible time staying focused on it. So I really need to listen only when I'm not doing anything else for a long stretch, which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Interesting selection of books - thanks for visiting my current list!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try so hard with audiobooks! My husband loves them. So does my sister-in-law. I try and then fail. I actually listen to them through an app on my television lol and play them right out loud. I can listen to some books on audio, but it has to be the right book. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that you're trying audiobooks. I love having them on the phone for when I go on walks or other forms of exercise, but a Kindle would work well for home. If you need recommendations, I have lots on my blog. I even did a 2 part series called "A Primer for Audiobook Enjoyment" that you might want to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't use headphones when I listen to audiobooks. My family has learned to leave me alone if I'm listening to one. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't listen much to audio books - much prefer to hold my book. You've got some great reading here Must check out Anne Bishop's trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree about when you put on headphones. It's like that when I walk up to my office. The girls can be downstairs in the same room I am and not ask me a thing. As soon as I put my behind in my office chair to concentrate on something, they come up with a million things they need to ask.

    Hope your physical and mammogram go well. Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg your blog background is SO PRETYY! Glad to hear you had a his was a quiet sunny week despite the little snow . :) God bless audiobooks I could not be able to keep book blogging without then since I'm now too exhausted to read :) So even though it took me a while to get used to them now I can't recommend them enough! Hope you end up loving them too. BUT yes, every time you start listening to one someone would want to talk to you lol it's just the way fate works :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Audiobooks are pretty interesting, and having a familiar book to start off with is a great idea! Looks like you had a good reading week! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!