Monday, October 16, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (October 16, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was a quiet and somewhat disappointing week. My Braves were eliminated from the playoffs after a poor performance against the Phillies. That means that my interest in the rest of the baseball post-season is much diminished. I'll probably still watch the games though. 

My annual visit to my gastroenterologist was uneventful as well except for the difficulty of getting there. The medical campus where his office is has changed around a lot with the opening of the new hospital. It felt like I walked forever and in a state of confusion trying to get from the parking lot to his office. In fact, it was over 3000 steps to and from my car. Next time should be better since I now know where to park to eliminate some of the roundabout way I travelled on Thursday.

Since I'm quite a bit ahead on my reviewing having 33 scheduled posts, I decided to gather and read all of the In Death novellas. I had skipped them when I reread all of the In Death novels. I had some of the novellas and bought some of the missing ones for my Kindle. Many of the novellas appeared in other collections of stories but I skipped all the rest of the stories to concentrate on the In Death ones. 

This coming week has the yard clean up guys coming on Monday to trim all the shrubbery and haul away the debris. It will be nice to have everything tidied up for the coming winter. Otherwise, my schedule is appointment-free. I hope to get most of my November review books read, reviewed and scheduled. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Mirror, Mirror by J. D. Robb et al. -- Contains Taken in Death (Number 37.5).
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Lord by Celeste Connally (Review; November 14) -- This historical romance was also a mystery and concerned unscrupulous men committing their wives to insane asylums to get them out of the way. My review will be posted on November 8.
  • Perfect Shot by Steve Urszenyi (Review; November 14) -- This thriller is set in an slightly alternate present and stars a female sharpshooter who is a FBI agent assigned to Interpol. It read like a combination of Tom Clancy and James Bond. My review will be posted on November 9.
  • Down the Rabbit Hole by J. D. Robb et al. -- Contains Wonderment in Death which is a riff on Alice in Wonderland and number 41.5 in the In Death series. 
  • The Other Side by J. D. Robb et al. -- Contains Possession in Death which is a ghost story and number 31.5 in the In Death Series.
  • Time of Death by J. D. Robb -- Contains three novellas: Eternity in Death (Number 24.5), Ritual in Death (Number 27.5), and Missing in Death (Number 29.5) which were all great stories. 
  • Straight by Dick Francis (Audiobook) -- This is a reread of one of my favorites from Francis. My review will be posted on November 16.
  • The Unquiet by J. D. Robb et al. -- I read Chaos in Death which is number 33.5 in the In Death series. Entertaining and spooky novella. 
  • Remember When by Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb -- This book contains two stories: one contemporary romance, one In Death about the same diamond heist. Entertaining. My review will be posted on December 2.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

13 comments:

  1. Sorry your Braves are out. It's always a letdown when things don't play out right. I was able to go grab Small Magics this morning for the same price so I'm glad. I love Kate and Curran. Glad you appointments went well and yay! for a slower week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the Braves. I haven't followed much since the Red Sox aren't in it. It's also hockey season, so the Bruins are more what I'm into.

    Glad to hear you are ahead in the review books department. The Fiction Writer and I Only Read Murder caught my eye this week. Hope you enjoy your books.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_01861100473.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the Braves
    I don't follow baseball but the Pirates are my hometeam Would you believe I've never read a Nora Roberts book? With as much as I read I find it hard to believe as well, especially when I go to the library she makes donations to. I need to pick one up and start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your team. that's a bummer.

    Act Like A LAdy looks fun, and I love the cover. Home at Night looks good. I think I added that one.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your team! I don't really pay attention to sports much. Fairly certain our team is out too!

    Nice assortment of reads for the week! All new to me ones but I hope you enjoy them all!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the Braves. My Yankees were out of it some time ago. Your books look so good. I hope you enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post contains a mini-library of books--so many of which are appealing to me. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes no good when your team loses is it. My sympathy. Good your Dr. visit went well apart from the long walk. Act Like a Lady Think Like a Lord is still on my radar, will wait for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry your Braves are out, but I encourage you to watch my team, the Rangers. Our nephew, Nathan Eovaldi, who pitches for the Rangers, has been on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a review copy of The Fiction Writer that I hope to start soon! Thanks for visiting my blog, and congrats on getting ahead with reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kathy, I ended up reading your post on The Fatal Folio before reading this one. I discovered that my library has the first in the series and I really wanted to read it. (I love cosy mysteries) But I already have too many books on the go! I've added it to my must read in 2024 list.
    Unfortunately, I am the crew that gets our yard ready for Winter, and I am still dealing with the vegetable garden which keeps producing!
    Hope you have another fabulous reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad your gastroenterology appointment was uneventful overall. There's a lot of construction going on at the main hospital I go to and it's become such a pain to navigate. I will be glad when the construction is done, but I imagine I'll get lost a few times before I learn my way around the new buildings when they are all done.

    It's nice when you are caught up with reviews and can catch up on other reading you've set aside earlier. It sounds like you've read some good ones! Your new books all look so good! I Only Read Murder caught my eye. I'll have to add that one to my wish list. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not into baseball, but my mom is, and she was disappointed when her team, Toronto's Blue Jays, ended like they did. And yeah for time to get to those novellas! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!