Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Memes: The Impersonator by Mary Miley

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week The Impersonator by Mary Miley is closest to hand. I got the eARC through Minotaur Books' early reviewer program. Here is the description of this September 17 release:
In 1917, Jessie Carr, fourteen years old and sole heiress to her family’s vast fortune, disappeared without a trace. Now, years later, her uncle Oliver Beckett thinks he’s found her: a young actress in a vaudeville playhouse is a dead ringer for his missing niece. But when Oliver confronts the girl, he learns he’s wrong. Orphaned young, Leah’s been acting since she was a toddler.

Oliver, never one to miss an opportunity, makes a proposition—with his coaching, Leah can impersonate Jessie, claim the fortune, and split it with him. The role of a lifetime, he says. A one-way ticket to Sing Sing, she hears. But when she’s let go from her job, Oliver’s offer looks a lot more appealing. Leah agrees to the con, but secretly promises herself to try and find out what happened to the real Jessie. There’s only one problem: Leah’s act won’t fool the one person who knows the truth about Jessie’s disappearance.

Set against a Prohibition-era backdrop of speakeasies and vaudeville houses, Mary Miley’s Minotaur Books/Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition winner The Impersonator will delight readers with its elaborate mystery and lively prose.
Beginning:
I felt his eyes before I saw his face.
Friday 56:
"I'll wager there was no love lost between those two brothers," I remarked. 

4 comments:

  1. And another that sounds good! You're reading two very tempting books this week.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cover. Like the beginning too.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book wish list keeps getting longer. I really like the premise and the opening. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a book I would like..thanks for sharing. So many good books to learn about...love this meme.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!