Monday, June 30, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 30, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.


***********

I had a great time at the Fierce Reads event on Sunday night. Except, my camera didn't work. One of my rechargeable batteries must have stopped taking charges. The only pictures I have are from my friend's cell phone. It was great to meet four authors who have written books I enjoyed. The drive down was not as pleasant. The traffic on I-35 on Sunday afternoon was pretty bad. The sudden intense rain showers didn't help either.

After the event, I drove the rest of the way to my home in Eyota for the night. I had a couple of errands to do there before I came back to Duluth on Monday. My brother and I went out to dinner Monday evening when I got home. There wasn't a lot of reading time either Sunday or Monday.

Duluth's cold and rainy weather did make for great reading time once I got back. I decided to skip the books I planned to read last week and choose some others from my TBR mountains. 

I realized that I was skipping July. I have blog posts scheduled so far ahead that I was beginning to work on books whose reviews would not be showing up until August. I have a regular pattern on both blogs. I do a Teaser Tuesday and then review the book on Thursday and I do Book Beginnings and Friday 56 on Friday and review the book on Saturday. That means that most weeks during the school year my YA blog - Ms. Martin Teaches Media - goes post-less on Mondays and Wednesdays and my adult blog - this one - is post-less on Wednesdays. I decided to read some more books from the TBR mountains to post reviews on Wednesdays during the summer months.

This coming week's reading will all be those Wednesday books. I'll be travelling next week - gone from Saturday morning until Thursday afternoon - and I don't know how much, if any, reading time I will have. When I return, I will probably actually be reading stuff that won't show up until August.

My plans right now are to skip this meme and the Stacking the Shelves memes next weekend and do doubles on the 13th and the 14th.

Read Last Week

From My Review Stack
Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre - She begins a new contemporary fantasy trilogy with this book. I really liked it and can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy. My review will be posted on August 2.

True Love by Jude Deveraux was waiting for me when I went home to Eyota. I had won a copy from Library Thing's Early Reviewer program. I hadn't read anything by Jude Deveraux for years and now I'm wondering what other excellent stories I have been missing. I love the characters, setting, and the ghost. My review will be posted on July 2.
Frostborn by Lou Anders is the beginning a new middle grade fantasy. I think middle graders will enjoy the adventure and like the characters in this story. My review will be posted on July 31.

Invincible by Diana Palmer is a typical Palmer romance. You either like her writing or you don't. I don't think there is really a middle ground. I do enjoy these romantic suspense stories every once in a while. My review will be posted on July 23.

From TBR Mountain
Howl for It by Shelly Laurenston and Cynthia Eden consisted of two paranormal romance novellas. It had been sitting on TBR mountain since Aug. 29, 2012. Both novellas were showcases for the author's style and both were enjoyable stories. My review will be posted on July 9.

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo is the final book in the Grisha Trilogy. I got my autographed copy when I attended the Fierce Read event last Sunday night. I couldn't wait to read it and was very satisfied with the way the author finished this story. My review will be posted on July 2.
I read Changeling by Philippa Gregory. It had been sitting on TBR mountain since September 19, 2012. It was an interesting historical fiction title that really showed the world view of people who lived in 1453. It is the first of a quartet. It sort of reminded me of The Canterbury Tales but only in that it was episodic and had a diverse cast of characters. I did buy copies of the next two books in the series from Amazon Marketplace for about $5 each for the hardcovers. My review will be posted on July 16.

Silence by Michelle Sagara is her first YA book. I enjoyed this contemporary fantasy. I liked the characters and the lush and lyrical prose. There is a sequel but I am resisting adding it to my TBR mountain since there aren't any cheap hardcovers at Amazon Marketplace. The paperback will come out January 2015. My review will be posted on July 9.
Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones had been sitting on my TBR mountain since Dec. 18, 2012. I enjoyed this story mostly because I enjoyed the main character's viewpoint. She was a great mix of snarky and smart. I'm not a big fan of stories with angels but this one was pretty good. My review will be posted on July 23. 

Currently
For All Time by Jude Deveraux is an Amazon Vine review book. Since the book will be released on July 1, it is my plan to read it as soon as I finish Hammered. I won't be reviewing it until July 16 though. My calendar has a post scheduled for every day until then.

I am also reading Hammered by Kevin Hearne because I want to stay ahead of my brother. He came looking for this book yesterday but I hadn't finished it yet. He didn't really need it; he had just started book 2. 

Next Week

Check out this link to see how I am doing with the books I brought home for the summer. These are from that list.
Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo (Added to the stack on 10/5/2010)
The Professionals by Owen Laukkanen (Added to the stack on 2/3/2014)
Mercy Burns by Keri Arthur (Added to the stack on 4/21/2011)
 Darkness Unbound by Keri Arthur (Added to the stack on 9/27/2011)
Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill (Added to the stack on 1/2/2013)
 Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan (Added to the stack on 9/25/2013)
The Essence by Kimbely Derting (Added to the stack on 1/3/2013)
Steel by Carrie Vaughn (Added to the stack on 3/5/2011)

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

21 comments:

  1. As much as I stay away from YA novels, that cover for Frostborn keeps calling to me!

    Thanks for checking out What I'm Reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to start the Grisha Trilogy,as I have the first two books! Have fun reading!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you attended the Fierce Reads event and met some authors! Sounds like you have a full plate up ahead, especially for August. I used to do a lot of memes but this is the one I've kept.
    Ellen @ Glamorous Book Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in total awe of your organization! I rarely schedule posts and usually blog in 'real time'. The author event sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a Jude Deveraux book in a while...but I always enjoy them. Enjoy your books, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People seem to be loving Ruin and Rising. I have to confess that I haven't read any of that series yet, but maybe I will give it a try this summer. Enjoy your books this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We certainly get a lot of reading done in the summer, don't we?!
    Hope you are enjoying your free time as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice that you were able to meet four authors! :) And wow, you have a busy schedule. I'll wait for your reviews on Mortal Danger and Changeling. Those are on my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice haul of books for you! Glad you got to attend an author meet, but a shame about your camera (been there, done that). Enjoy your books. I have read most of the Castillo series and enjoy them very much. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't remember the last time I read Jude Deveraux--will have to see if I can fit it into my schedule. Enjoy your reading and travels, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so well organised. How nice to ditch all plans and take something from your TBR. The covers all show promise. Enjoy whatever reading you get in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For All Time looks so good. It's been a long time since I read Jude Devereaux's books. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been awhile since I have read anything by Jude Deveraux...I always enjoy her books...nice easy reads. I had Skin Game on my library call list but I haven't read any of the other books. Think I will take it off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard great things about Ann Aguirre, I look forward to hearing more about it. One of my old favorite romances is Jude Deveraux's Knight in Shining Armor. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good week for you.

    ENJOY all your books.

    THANKS for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been a long time fan of Diana Palmer and will check out this book. True Love is waiting for me on audio, glad you enjoyed the book. Have a great time away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always read such great looking books!! The last 6 look particularly good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Iron Druid series, it's so much fun. I keep seeing the Leigh Bardugo trilogy (can't remember what it's called!) around and it's made me very curious. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. just posting all these would have taken a huge amt of time! that's what's killing my reading time =) pc time when all I want is to grab that kindle and read =))
    Safe travels and it sounds like you've got it all organized to get all your blogs on target... see you in 2 wks ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am pretty sure I have Philippa Gregory's The Changeling in a TBR pile somewhere. I need to read it now! Once again... great books this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!