Monday, May 2, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 2, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

Cold rainy weather kept all of us - students and teachers - in school mode this week. The year is rushing by. Just 23 more student contact days this year. We are also finally finishing up the testing season. I'm being evicted from my media center only twice more this year to accommodate the testing. That will be seven times I've had to move my sixth graders up to one of their classrooms for media. Luckily, sixth grade has a set of computers so that our work can carry on. They are finishing up their research project about events that happened on their birthdays and are getting ready to present to their classmates.

At home I am menu planning to use the ingredients in my freezer and pantry in anticipation of being gone for about two months during the summer. Thus far I haven't had to find a way to use the odd ingredients that have appeared there. I often find myself shopping for ingredients for a recipe and then not actually making the recipe. This leaves orphaned ingredients that I have no idea how to incorporate since the recipe is nowhere to be found now. I really hope that this is common and that others do this too.

I am still trying to get my review stack read and reviews scheduled so that I can read from my TBR mountain this summer. I have my May calendar completely scheduled for reviews and memes except for the Monday meme I do. I am reading and scheduling early June now with 11 review books still on my stack for June.

Read Last Week
Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs was an enjoyable addition to a long-running series. My review will be posted on May 28.

Targeted by Kendra Elliot was also an excellent addition to a series. I enjoyed this thriller with a touch of romance very much. This book will be released on June 7 with my review scheduled for June 1.

Fan the Flames by Katie Ruggle was also an excellent romantic suspense title. I really liked the heroine in this one. The book was quite suspenseful too. This is also a June 7 release with my review scheduled for June 2.

Currently
The Love a Wolf by Paige Tyler is a paranormal romantic suspense title. It is another of my June 7 releases.

Next Week
Written Off by E. J. Copperman is another mystery that I have for review from NetGalley. This is a June 14 release.

Magic & Manners by C. E. Murphy is Jane Austen infused with magic. This is a genre that I really enjoy. I can't wait to start this one.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I have been meaning to read The Martian by Andy Weir for quite a while but have been hesitant to add anything else to TBR mountain. However, this week the book was a Kindle Daily Deal. At least it isn't taking up any physical space.

I also bought Masks & Shadows by Stephanie Burgis for my Kindle this week. I have enjoyed her YA titles and am curious about this one.
When I put Front Runner by Felix Francis on my reading calendar, I didn't realize it was the second book starring the same main character. I had to have the first book and so added Damage by Felix Francis to my stack.

I added A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet to my review stack. I was invited to view this title at NetGalley and it sounded good. It won't be released until my birthday - August 2.

State of TBR mountain:
  • New in April: 22
  • Unread from April: 18
  • New in 2016: 123
  • Unread from 2016: 72
  • Total Unread: 1926
  • # of Review Books to Read: 22
To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

14 comments:

  1. My children are counting down the days to summer! Like you said, only 23 more school days. Where did the time go?

    I wanted to read The Martian before watching the movie but I ended up watching it and loving it. Bet the book is twice as good!

    Enjoy your reading week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Maritan was one of the best books I read last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Martian is a Kindle deal, going to check it out, I am still on the fence with this one. I may enjoy the movie more than reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of review books! It's fun, but it makes me a little crazy if I have two many in one month...two or three is about what I can handle. LOL. Hope you are able to finish them all by summer. Enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOps...meant "too many." I haven't had enough coffee yet!

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of times to be put out of your library!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a couple of bits you've mentioned in this post, it sounds like you have some epic summer plans ahead of you.

    I hope you have a great reading week!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh nice! I loved Kim's Hollow series! Hope you enjoy the reads for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha I know what it is like to buy ingredients and have them orphaned in the pantry. Do hope you enjoy The Martian, it was so good on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see your review on Fire Touched!
    Happy Reading! Dani @ Paulette’s Papers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Written Off looks so fun and one I'll add to my TBR because I love a cozy mystery. I hope you enjoy The Martian. I didn't read it but listened to the audio instead, which was phenomenal! I'm not sure I would have had the same reaction from the book as I did the audio. Good luck with your testing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all out of actual contact hours, it's just two more exams and then MA dissertation writing! The moody weather has also kept me inside, which has its advantages. Magic & Manners looks right up my alley, I will definitely check that out. Thanks for stopping by my blog & I hope you have a great week!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many great books on your list! The E.J. Copperman book is on TBR. Enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This year has gone crazily by! Your student project sounds interesting. I'm tempted to research my birthday for news. :-)
    We are going away for two months but my hubby sure could clean out the freezer. (He is our cook and always has more than needed.)
    You have lots of good titles and I am so impressed that you are always months ahead!
    I have to stop accepting review titles so I can get to TBRs also. Although I have been fitting in TBR audios, I have thinking about reserving a month for just TBRs...or at least mostly TBRs :-)
    I just realized looking up Damage that Felix is Dick's son.
    Have a great week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!