Thursday, July 14, 2016

Book Review: The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff

The Wild Ways
Author: Tanya Huff
Series: Enchantment Emporium (Book 2)
Publication: DAW; 1 edition (November 1, 2011)

Description: Alysha Gale's cousin Charlotte is a Wild Power, who allies herself with a family of Selkies in a fight against offshore oil drilling. The oil company has hired another of the Gale family's Wild Powers, the fearsome Auntie Catherine, to steal the Selkies' sealskins. To defeat her, Charlotte will have to learn what born to be Wild really means in the Gale family...

My Thoughts: It has been quite a while since I read THE MAGIC EMPORIUM, the first book in this series, so it took me a little while to remember about the mysterious and magical Gales. Once I did, this story just took off for me.

Charlie Gale is a wild power and she is a musician. Being a wild power and a musician means that she doesn't settle the way most Gale women do. While taking part in a music festival in Cape Bretton, she gets mixed up with with a bunch of Selkies who have lost their skins and an oil company that wants to drill in the Selkies' home sea. The oil company has hired Charlie's Aunt Catherine who is another wild power to blackmail the Selkies into cooperating in the drilling.

Now, Charlie has to pit her music and her magic against her aunt's formidable powers. Fortunately, she has an ally in her cousin Jack who happens to be, besides a 14-year-old Gale boy, a dragon and a sorcerer. I loved Charlie and loved the references to geekdom. Not being a full-fledged geek myself, I'm sure that I missed some references. The ones I got amused me greatly.

This story was packed with adventure, excitement and magic. The adventure continues in THE FUTURE FALLS

Favorite Quote:
"They're my cousins, right? You like to spend all your time with your cousins growing up; it's a Gale thing. Family. The cousins out here, they think I'm pretty cool and it's not like I'm going to be playing soccer with them or anything." Jack still didn't understand the point of chasing something and not getting a meal out of it. Sure, let it go a few times, have a little fun running it down, but in the end, eat it.

Soccer balls tasted like farts.
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. Once Tanya's Gael family gets hold of you they never let go. I can't see a pie without wondering if it contains charms, or see a woman singing wild and free without wondering if she's Charlie. I highly recommend the third book in the series: "The Future Falls." Less pie...more dragon... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!