Monday, September 26, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Sept. 26, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

Last week was a quiet, rainy week. I was busy watching the final games of the Atlanta Braves baseball season and the first week of The Voice. I also had an eye exam and picked out new glasses. For the first time since I began wearing glasses at age 10, my vision was better than the previous exam. I am still very nearsighted but just about did my happy dance in the eye doctor's office. Other than driving 13 miles home from my eye exam with very dilated pupils, my week was drama free.

Next week looks more exciting. I will be driving up to Duluth after work on Tuesday so that I can attend the Celtic Thunder concert at the DECC. I took Wednesday off because I had no desire to drive 4 hours back Tuesday night after the concert. I'll be eager to catch up with my brother on new house stuff since I have only had one email from him since school began. I plan to bring a basket load of towels, etc. to begin moving in. To the best of my knowledge right now the only thing in the new house is a lawn chair that I left there on Sept. 3 so that I had something to sit on while I was cleaning.

Read Last Week
Death of a Toy Soldier by Barbara Early was a nice cozy mystery from Crooked Lane Books. My review will be posted on October 15 for this Oct. 11 release.


Cast in Flight by Michelle Sagara was also a review book. This is the latest in her Chronicles of Elantra series and was the usual complex fantasy. I am totally hooked on this series. My review will be posted on October 22 for this Oct. 25 release.

Only You by Denise Grover Swank was a cute romance that begins a new trilogy. It was filled with quirky characters who all wanted a say in the main characters' romance. My review will be posted on October 26 for this Oct. 25 release.

Currently
I am currently reading a book from my TBR stack. Stealing Jason Wilde by Dee Ernst sounds like it will be a fun, light read.

Next Week
I have two from my November review stack for next week.
  • Once a Gypsy by Danica Winters - an urban fantasy coming out Nov. 1
  • Shadow of Victory by David Weber - the latest in the Honor Harrington series coming out Nov. 1 and weighing in at 768 pages
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
  • Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews - an auto-buy for me
  • The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst - a keeper copy since I read an ARC for review
  • Forgive Me by Daniel Palmer - an impulse buy after reading about it on someone's blog
Two more for the review stack:
  • Explosive Forces by D. D. Ayres - I was invited to read this Nov. 1 release at NetGalley
  • Shadow of Victory by David Weber - I got this one from Baen Books at Edelweiss when I learned it was being released Nov. 1
To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

15 comments:

  1. Once a Gypsy sounds good!!

    Congrats on your new glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once a Gypsy and The Queen of Blood both sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I considered Home as my next read, going to check out your review now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like music is another big enjoyment in your life besides books. I have been putting off an eye exam but must as my glasses are falling apart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to check out Death of a Toy Soldier when it comes out, because I love cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh nice! Those are new to me ones! Hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mahalo for dropping by my little blog. You have a nice range of books here and did some solid reading. I hope your move goes smoothly. And have a blast at the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been watching The Voice, too. I think I'm going to be OK with the judges this season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read something by Denise Grover Swansea year or so ago and I remember liking it. I need to look her back up it seems! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoy your road trip next week, as well as the concert and the visit with your brother! How nice that you can take the next day off!

    I love a good cozy mystery, and Death of a Toy Soldier sounds like something I would enjoy. Plus, it's holiday themed! Double bonus!!

    I actually have Cast in Shadow (the first book in Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra series) in my TBR mountain. I bought the audiobook because it is narrated by Kristine Hvam, who is phenomenal. Seeing how much you enjoy the series, I think I need to bump it up my list!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's hope my eye could get better?!? That's the best news I've heard all day. :)

    I take it you enjoyed Queen of Blood since you bought it? I've read another book by that author, but I might have to pick that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy the concert and visiting the new home! Just started Home and so far can't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That reminds me I need to book into an eye test, though hopefully it won't be as long a trip back as yours...quite a way. Enjoy the concert and starting to get things sorted in your new house,

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you are enjoying your new glasses and your music ventures too.
    I am happy to see a new Harlan Coben book. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great reading week!
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!