Tuesday, May 22, 2018

First Paragraph/Teaser Tuesday: Willnot by James Sallis

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posted the first paragraph of a book she is reading or planning to read. In 2018, Vicki from I'd Rather Be at the Beach is taking over this meme.

Here's mine:
We found the bodies two miles outside town, near the old gravel pit. Tom Bales was out on an early-morning hunt when his dog Mattie dropped the quail she was retrieving, sprinted to a stretch of worried earth, and wouldn't budge. He'd call, she'd start toward him and circle right back, barking. It was the smell that got him finally, when he walked over. Mushroomy, dark. Cellarlike.
 

Link up here. It is very easy to play along:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! Everyone loves Teaser Tuesday.
Here's mine:
"Man administers to the sick and needy and cooks too."

"Let's not talk about success rates at either. Is there something I can do for you, Sheriff?"
This week I am reading Willnot by James Sallis. This was recommended on a blog I follow but had to wait for a gap in my calendar for me to read it. Here is the description from Amazon:
In his celebrated career, James Sallis has created some of the most finely drawn protagonists in crime fiction, all of them thoughtful observers of the human condition: Lew Griffin, the black New Orleans private investigator; retired detective John Turner; the unnamed wheelman in Drive. Dr. Lamar Hale will now join the ranks of Sallis's finest characters.

In the woods outside the town of Willnot, the remains of several people have suddenly been discovered, unnerving the community and unsettling Hale, the town's all-purpose general practitioner, surgeon, and town conscience. At the same time, Bobby Lowndes--his military records disappeared, being followed by the FBI--mysteriously reappears in his hometown, at Hale's door. Over the ensuing months, the daily dramas Hale faces as he tends to his town and to his partner, Richard, collide with the inexplicable vagaries of life in Willnot. And when a gunshot aimed at Lowndes critically wounds Richard, Hale's world is truly upended.

In his inimitably spare style, James Sallis conjures indelible characters and scenes that resonate long after they appear. "You live with someone year after year, you think you've heard all the stories," Lamar observes, "but you never have."

11 comments:

  1. This sounds fascinating! Thanks for introducing me to a new author and book.

    My TT from The Penance List

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new-to-me author. I'm going to check out his other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another new-to-me author. The part about the smell kind of put me off...just before the mention about a man who cooks.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the opening and the teaser ... I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this opening. I'm intrigued, so I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting teaser! That's a new to me one! Hope you enjoy the rest!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with this author. I like the intro and teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the intro. It sounds like a good who-dun-it. I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of this one before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a book that cuts to the chase. What's better than a body in the first paragraph. It also sounds very atmospheric. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!