Monday, May 7, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 7, 2018)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

I think that Spring has finally arrived in my part of Minnesota. There were two days this week - bright, sunny, and warm - that got this fair weather walker out and about. Other days were warm enough but gloomy and looking like rain which kept me indoors. Otherwise, I have been keeping busy with watching baseball and The Voice on TV and reading. I have completed all of my posts for May except these Monday reports. I am working on the June releases from my review stack.I have eleven still to read.

April Reading Report

I read 32 books in April with 22 of them being mine and nine of them actually coming off the TBR pile having been there at least six months. I read ten books from my review stack in April.

I added 32 books to my stack in April including 11 review books. Twenty-two of them are still unread including 9 of the review books.

New purchases this month included books 2 through 4 in Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series and all of Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Gray mysteries for my Kindle even though I already had the first two in paperback. While I read only the first InCryptid novel, I did finish all of the Lady Julia Gray mysteries and scheduled the reviews stretching into late June.

This is the first month that I can recall where I read as many books as I added to my collection which currently stands at 5197 books in My Library and 46 review books. According to LibraryThing I currently have 2131 books marked To Read including 89 that I added in 2008 when I began LibraryThing. I think the next time I want to add books from TBR mountain to my calendar I'll look at those oldest ones.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
The Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke - middle grade fantasy. Apparently this is a re-release of a 2011 release in anticipation of the second book in the series coming in July. It was a great middle grade fantasy adventure. My review was posted earlier this week.

Stars Above by Marissa Meyer has been on my physical TBR pile since March 15, 2016. I enjoyed these stories that tell more about the childhoods of many of the main characters of the Lunar Chronicles and also tell about the wedding of two of the main characters. My review will be posted on May 28.

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong contained sixteen stories all focusing on some sort of journey written by some of the stars of YA paranormal fiction. This was from my physical TBR mountain and had been sitting there since Oct. 12, 2011. My review will be posted on May 21.
Ocean Light by Nalini Singh will be released on June 12. It is the second book in her Psy-Changeling Trinity series and was an excellent story filled with intrigue and romance. I got this one from Penguin's First to Read program. My review will be posted on June 11.

City of Bastards by Andrew Shvarts is the second book in the Royal Bastards series. It is an engaging epic fantasy with lots of intrigue and magic. My review will be posted on May 30.

The Memory of Fire by Callie Bates is the second book in the Waking Land fantasy trilogy and focuses on conflicted sorcerer Jahan Korakides. It was also filled with intrigue, magic, and romance. My review will be posted on May 31.

Currently
I have just begun Sweet Black Waves by Kristian Perez which is a fantasy by a debut author with a PHD in Medieval Literature. I got this ARC from Macmillan.

Next Week
  • The Body in the Ballroom by R. J. Koreto - June 12 release from NetGalley
  • Last Girl Gone by J. G. Hetherton - June 12 release from NetGalley
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth - TBR pile since Sept. 8, 2013. This is a reread since I intend to finally finish this series and need to refresh my memory. This is a Kindle copy since I donated my hardcover to my school library.
Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Bought
Review

I've indicated the publication date and where I got the eARC in case you would like a copy of your own to review. Links go to Amazon for book descriptions.
What was your week like?

15 comments:

  1. Wow! You read a lot of books in April!

    Enjoy the upcoming books, and Last Girl Gone looks like one I would like. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow on 32 books for April. That is terrific.

    You have many good ones coming up too.

    ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer is rearing its ugly head in AZ. It was 108F yesterday. :(

    Thirty-two books in April? Excellent! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh nice! Some new to me ones and some familiar faces! I've been seeing a lot of Sweet Black Waves! Hope you enjoy your reads for the week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a productive month of reading. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really getting in a lot of reading. I wonder if your numbers will drop once the weather gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that spring has arrived and that you are able to get out and walk. Great reading in April! Looking forward to Ocean Light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read thirty books last month. I have about half my reviews for this month written. What am I reading?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, congrats on getting all your May posts done and reading 32 books. I wish I was that on top of life. I’m struggling to get posts done for next week. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 32 books- wow. I do think the Julia Gray mysteries look good. So does Underwater Ballroom which I hope to get soon. I want to get Onyx & Ivory too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is nice to see spring (though summer is already trying to take over here lol) The Swank was entertaining :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have so many books here that I want to read! Enthralled looks really good - I love Kelley Armstrong!

    I need to get tickets to a ball game soon I think. It seems like it would be better to go in the spring than in the heat of summer? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you have seen some spring weather.
    You have quite a collection of books - several I will check a couple of your reviews. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, spring weather! And some really great books! I loved Ocean Light, I hope you did, too! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!