Monday, October 7, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (October 7, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was an interesting week. My Monday gastro appointment has led to further testing. It seems that my Crohn's Disease is no longer in remission and has decided to go active. I have a couple of procedures scheduled for Monday that will fill up my day. I will try to link up this post before I head off to the hospital but likely won't be visiting until late Monday afternoon or maybe even Tuesday. 

I spent most of the rest of the week getting ready for the upcoming testing. I did listen to the first three books in the Tinker series by Wen Spencer. These are rereads for me. I also tried really hard to get into two different review books and failed. It has been months since I DNFed a review book. Then there were two in a row. To fill in the spaces newly opened up on my calendar, I went to my Kindle, opened the Mystery collection, and decided to read the first two unread books on the list. I really liked the first one I read. The second one is going well too. 

September Report

I read 39 books in September. Twenty-five were mine and fourteen were Review copies. Of the ones that were mine, nine were from my TBR Pile and sixteen were rereads. I listened to eighteen audiobooks most of which were rereads. Most were mysteries but quite a few fit into the "romance" category too. There were lots of Romantic Suspense titles for me last month.

I read a total of 13, 012 pages and listened for 165 hours. 

I added eighteen books to my LibraryThing account last month. I got six new Review copies, four audiobooks including three from Audible Plus, and five were Kindle copies of books I own in print and have already read. Besides the Review books, only three are new to me and unread. Five of the new books were BookBub deals. 

I've read two of my new books already and five are on my calendar to be read for reviews in November.


Read Last Week
  • The Author's Guide to Murder by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig & Karen White (Review; November 5) -- Fun mystery filled with all the tropes and great characters too. My review will be posted on October 29.
  • Only Good Enemies by Jennifer Estep (Audiobook; Mine) -- Second in the Galactic Bonds series. This space opera romance was an engaging story. My review will be posted on October 31.
  • The Spy Coast by Tess Gerritsen (Mine) -- An excellent thriller about some retired spies whose past isn't as far behind them as they could wish. My review will be posted on November 5.
  • The 6:20 Man by David Balcacci (Mine since May 28, 2023) -- An excellent financial thriller starring a former Army Ranger turned financial analyst. My review will be posted on October 30.
DNF
  • Misery Hates Company by Elizabeth Hobbs (Review; November 5) -- Bad formatting and an unlikable main character combined with a slow pace had me abandoning this one at 25%.
  • Pony Confidential by Christina Lynch (Review; November 5) -- I have hated talking animal stories since I was a child. Also a dishrag main character and lack of action made me quit this one at 25%.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:

What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow! 39 books just for last month?! That's more than half of what I read for this year to date! Lol. I'm a slow reader apparently.

    Nice lineup you have here! All totally new to me ones but I hope you enjoy your picks for this week!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Crohn's - I understand how these unexpected relapses can disrupt your life. I hope the procedures help. Wow, 39 books in one month! You are quite the voracious reader! I've heard good things about Tess Gerritsen (she wrote the Rizzoli and Isles series, right? We enjoyed the TV show). BTW, I like the new look for the blog :) Hope that better days are ahead for you.

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about the medical stuff, Kathy. I hope the tests go well on Monday and that you are feeling well. You had an excellent reading month in September. I hope October is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope your procedures went off well. Its Tuesday here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, you have had a great reading month. Here's hoping that your medical issues are resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you good luck at the hospital, I hope the testing goes well. Every time I pop by your blog I'm always so impressed by how much you read, well done on 39 books in September! 👏🏽 I'm intrigued by the title All's Fair in Love and Treachery (excellent name for a book and hope it's as good as it sounds)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw this Rivers of London title on your list today I felt like we are kindred spirits. I adore this series. I especially adore Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's narration. I went to read your review and discovered that my library has a new novella, The Masquerades of Spring. It will be a wait, but I know have something exciting to look forward to thanks to you.
    I'm crossing my fingers for you that your testing goes well. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 39 books, that's incredible! I hope October is a good reading month too. And I hope your Crohns can be sorted, my friend has this also and it can really mess her around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, I'm so sorry that your disease is acting up. I hope that the doctors are able to get things under control.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!