Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Short Take Reviews (4)

Black Jack
Author: Lora Leigh
Publication: St. Martin's Paperbacks; 1 edition (March 2, 2010)

This is the story of a woman now named Lilly Belle who is an agent. She became one after her father was killed and she was knocked out and put into a car for a staged accident. She left her old name and forged a new life with her trainer Travis Caine. Travis is also on his second life. But the danger to Lilly didn't end and there have been two more attempts on her life. She now has amnesia and has forgotten her life as an agent. Travis has to keep her safe and keep her returning memory hidden. This was a little confusing because I have not yet read the first three books in this series.

Spooky Little Girl
Author: Laurie Notaro
Publication: Villard; Original edition (April 13, 2010)

This was an ARC I received as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. At first I was uncertain about the book because it was so far outside the genre I usually read. Lucy is kind a of thoughtless screwup when the book begins. She takes a small inheritance and blows it on a vacation in Hawaii that doesn't turn out as she had hoped -- crummy hotel and sleezy men. When she returns home her fiance has thrown all her stuff out on the lawn and she has no idea why. He won't talk to her and is holding her dog hostage. She goes to work the next day to find that she had forgotten to do a bank deposit and is now accused of theft. Her boss also demands a drug test which she fails and doesn't know why. With her life spirally out of control, she goes to visit her sister and nephew. Once there, she takes the bus to the unemployment office and is accidentally hit by the bus and killed. She wakes up in ghost school and learns that she has to make restitution before she can move on to her afterlife. The bulk of the book talks about her experiences after ghost school when she is assigned to haunt her ex-fiance's house and his new girlfriend (who just so happens to be the person who got her fired from her job.) There were many humorous parts to the story. I liked that Lucy was so devoted to her dog. I liked how the story resolved. My initial reaction was wrong. This was a humorous and touching exploration of second chances.

Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge



1 comment:

  1. Yikes, sounds like Lucy kept having one bad day after another! Great review - I think I need to read Spooky Little Girl :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!