Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Review: Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey

Naamah's Curse
Author: Jacqueline Carey
Publication: Grand Central Publishing (June 14, 2010)

Description: Far from the land of her birth, Moirin sets out across Tatar territory to find Bao, the proud and virile Ch'in fighter who holds the missing half of her diadh-anam, the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. After a long ordeal, she not only succeeds, but surrenders to a passion the likes of which she's never known. But the lovers' happiness is short lived, for Bao is entangled in a complication that soon leads to their betrayal.

My Thoughts: This was an exquisite, epic adventure story. Moirin has many adventures as she tries to reunite with Bao. She begins by traveling across Ch'in meeting many people including Bao's mother and little sister. Then she travels to the Tatar Territory where she reunites with Bao but they are betrayed and separated by the Great Khan. Moirin is brought to Vralia wrapped in magical chains at the urging of a rabbi who wants to convert her to his religion and use her as a spearhead to spread his religion and destroy others. Bao is sent to Bhodistan and becomes captive to a Spider Queen and an assassin king. Moirin however escapes and struggles to reunite with her lover. 

I like Moirin. She is impulsive and brave and determined to do the will of her gods. She manages to make friends and inspire changes wherever she goes. I like the lush language and the vivid descriptions of people and places in this story.

I recommend it for older readers who are lovers of high fantasy.

Favorite quote:


Dorje looked grave. "Tashi Rinpoche says he is depending on you. That before your journey is done, many, many people will depend on you. And that is still only the beginning, Moirin. You have a long way yet to go, and many oceans to cross."

I closed my eyes briefly. "Lucky me."


Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I am not a fantasy fan but the cover is very enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks good - I have been reading a bit of everything! Seem to pick up a book in every room I go to and start it, put it down - move to the next room and repeat. I have managed to finish a few! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there -- found your blog by searching for other reviews of Naamah's Curse. Can I say how much I *LOVE* the name of this blog? Very, very, very much, is what. Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!