Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Teaser Tuesday: Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read

  • Open to a random page

  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

  • Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



This week my teaser is from Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey. It is the sequel to Naamah's Kiss. I chose the first two sentences of the book to give a taste of what is in store.

As the city of Shuntian dwindled in the distance behind me, a mixture of dread and exhilaration filled me. I was all alone in the vast empire of Ch'in.
 Here is the blurb from Amazon:

Far from the land of her birth, Moirin sets out across Tatar territory to find Bao, the proud and virile Ch'in fighter who holds the missing half of her diadh-anam, the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. After a long ordeal, she not only succeeds, but surrenders to a passion the likes of which she's never known. But the lovers' happiness is short lived, for Bao is entangled in a complication that soon leads to their betrayal. 
I liked the language and the complex fantasy in this novel.

Don't forget to enter my 150 followers contest here. It ends on June 20 at midnight CDT.

28 comments:

  1. Yes, it does sound complex! But that's a great teaser. Hope you enjoy the book.

    My teaser: Whiter Than Snow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of Carey's books yet, but this one is getting so much positive buzz that I will have to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo, great teaser! I hadn't heard of either of these books, but now I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser. Every time I see this book I mean to add it to my list but I always forget. Not today! Officially added! Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sucker for a series :) Might have to check it out!
    Thanks so much for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser selections, now I will research the series. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/06/teaser-tuesdays-heart-of-lies.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like the world building on this series is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wondering about whether to read this.

    Here are our teasers this week!

    Have a great day!
    ♥Isalys

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good teaser. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hhhhmmm, nice. I haven't read her books yet. I have the Kushiels series in my TBR

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good - I hadn't heard of these books before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could work out a good starting point for reading Jacqueline Carey. Everything of hers I see in bookshops seems to depend on a huge amount of backstory, and I don't like coming in after the beginning! Are the Naamah books completely standalone from the others?

    My teaser's at http://hampshireflyer.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/teaser-tuesday-17/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really liked all the Kushiel books! Thanks for stopping by, and for reminding me about this author :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These two Naamah books refer to the Kushiel series but I don't think they would be required for understanding. You would probably be curious enough that you would want to read them though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good teaser. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds both complex and intriguing!
    My post: The Heir

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great teaser! I've read great things about this book! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great teaser even though I'm not a huge fan of fantasy. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am currently reading Kushiel's Justice. I love Phedre and Imriel! I don't know about this series though. I haven't heard good thinks, but I will probably give it a try because I love JC.

    Great Teaser! I love how JC twists our world and makes it her own. And Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never read this author before, but it sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have heard wonderful things about this novel- can't wait to see if it turns out to be as good as people say.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never heard of these books, so I am glad you included the blurb from Amazon! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the cover, and I hope everything turns out right for her! :) Lovely teaser!

    Thank you for dropping by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great teaser. sounds like a really exciting book!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the cover, very elegant and the teaser is also nice.

    Thank you for reading my teaser earlier

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maybe a bit too complex for me. Not knowing how to pronounce some of those words would drive me nuts so I'd probably have to get the audiobook.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!