Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Interview with Jill Potts Jones of Iambelievinggod’s Blog

As a part of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, I am interviewing a fellow blogger. Jill blogs at Iambelievinggod's Blog. She lives in East Central Alabama.


It is easy to see her strong Christian faith in her blog posts. She also reviews mainly Christian nonfiction. I asked Jill a few questions and here are her answers.


How did you come up with the name of your blog?  
When I was starting my blog, I was taking a Beth Moore class and one of the lessons was about believing God is who He says He is and He does what He says He will do...  I was struggling with my faith in this particular area at that time.  Naming my blog iambelievinggod was a reminder to me to always look to Him first instead of at my problems.

When and why did you begin blogging?  
I started blogging when I was unemployed and looking for a job.  It was a form of release mainly--just a way to put my thoughts out on paper...I never really thought anyone would read it...then, I discovered blogging for books....several publishers, namely,  Thomas Nelson Publishers and NavPress accepted me early on and then I applied for Tyndale House's program and most recently, Strang.  I also accept requests directly from authors.  I learned about their blogging programs through friends on Twitter who are also book bloggers.

You mention that you work outside the home, what do you do?  
I am a legal secretary....it's a good job with little stress...I work for an attorney that is very easy to work for, understanding about family issues and I get a lot of time off.

Where do you get the books you review?  
Usually through the Blogging for Books programs from Thomas Nelson, Tyndale House, NavPress; however, if I read a book I like and I really want to review it, I'll do that, too.

I see that you review mainly nonfiction. Do you read any fiction?  
Occasionally.  I reviewed "Darlington Woods" by Mike Dellosso and "The Last Operative" by Jerry Jenkins.  I have also reviewed "Caught" by Harlan Coben for Associated Content and didn't put on my blog--primarily because it was not in the Christian genre.  I considered starting another blog for non-Christian books but I don't know if I'll get to that or not.

After reading about your busy life, I wonder, where do you find time to read and blog?  
I read everywhere--doctor and dentist offices, during lunch, at night before bed--sometimes I take a Sunday and do nothing but read.  I find time to blog when I go to work early, during my lunch hour and sometimes when my boss is in court or away from the office if I don't have anything going on.

I note that you blog about personal/family issues in addition to books. Do your husband and teenager read your blog? Have they begun to “pull their weight” in your quest to get household duties done?  
No, my husband and my teen do not read my blog--that I'm aware of....sometimes my husband will.  As to household duties, no.  It's a battle of wills between them.  My daughter has Asperger's Syndrome (I have a separate blog for that at http://aspieparent18.wordpress.com) My husband has paid someone to do the yardwork--I am seriously considering getting a housekeeper--but somehow I just see that as a waste of money...I'd probably do the yardwork if I wasn't allergic to everything in the yard and didn't have back and neck problems.

Are you interested in writing a book yourself?  
Yes, I am.  I have a lot of ideas running through my head but I lack the confidence to actually write.  I keep thinking one day I'll have time to write but I've learned that anything you really want to do, you will make the time to do.

I want to thank Jill for taking the time to answer my questions and I urge you to check out her blog. She has lots of interesting and thought-provoking posts. Jill also writes for Examiner.com as the Montgomery Christianity Examiner and she will be writing for Suite101 soon. 


You can check out other Book Blogger Appreciation Week interviews here.


1 comment:

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!