Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (September 6, 2010)

It's Monday, What are you reading is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey 


It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

This week marked my transition from vacation mode to work mode. We had three days of teacher workshops and two open houses Monday through Wednesday this week as we get ready to greet the students on Tuesday. I also had some other preparatory work to do that sucked up the rest of Thursday and Friday morning. I have also been spending time at home getting organized and doing the grocery shopping. There hasn't been as much reading time as I would like or as much as I hope to carve out once the new schedule settles into place.

Nonetheless, I did manage to read five books this week.
Continuing my Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris series re-read, I read:
  • Dead to the World wherein Eric is cursed by witches, loses his memory and depends on Sookie to hide and protect him and Jason disappears.
  • Dead as a Doornail wherein Sookie gets involved more with the shifters as a sniper is shooting at them and Alcide pulls her in as the Shreveport pack has to find a new leader.
These are just for fun. I don't plan to review them.

When I got home I had a number of packages of books waiting for me. Included were third books in three series that I have been following.
  • Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle is the third in The Dreamlight Trilogy. This one is written in her futuristic line and takes the mystery of the Burning Lamp to the planet of Harmony. The romance is between Adam Winters and Marlowe Jones. It folows Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz and Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick and concludes the series.
  • Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins concludes the Hunger Games series. This is a young adult dystopia. The book was emotionally wrenching and powerful. 
  • Blameless by Gail Carriger is the third in the Parasol Protectorate. In this one Alexia is dodging vampire attacks in Europe as she travels to Italy to try to find out how she was able to become pregnant. I love the rich vocabulary and vivid descriptions in this steampunk romance. The review for this one will be posted on Wednesday.
I am currently reading:


Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin which I received as part of Librarything's Early Reviewer Program. 

Here is the description from Amazon: Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school, and the two girls become as close as sisters . . . until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, shows up during their junior year. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe-but a dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about her best friend and, worse, about herself.

Soon she'll discover the shocking truth about Ryland and Mallory: that these two are visitors from the faerie realm who have come to collect on an age-old debt. Generations ago, the faerie queen promised Pheobe's ancestor five extraordinary sons in exchange for the sacrifice of one ordinary female heir. But in hundreds of years there hasn't been a single ordinary girl in the family, and now the faeries are dying. Could Phoebe be the first ordinary one? Could she save the faeries, or is she special enough to save herself? 

Next week I would like to read:
  • Into the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson Haddix to conclude the 39 Clues series.
  • Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder to continue her Glass fantasy series.
  • Maybe This Time by Jennifer Cruisie for some light contemporary romance reading.
  • Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris to continue by Sookie readathon
We'll see how this plan goes. I have hopes that I will at least get some of these books read as I settle into the school year.


20 comments:

  1. Only three books this week because of homework. Here's what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read Extraordinary. I loved Impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so jealous you have Extraordinary. I so want to read this book. Hope you enjoy it Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still did great! I'll read Blameless soon & I really want to read Extraordinary! Happy reading & have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Extraordinary looks pretty awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the sookie stackhouse books. Though I think I have one I still need to read. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reading week. I ditto what Jan Von Harz says about Extraordinary!. I just received Midnight Crystal and Maybe This Time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spy Glass was great! I've been meaning to catch up on the 39 clues books but haven't yet. HOpe you keep reading as much as you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the 1st Sookie but keep choosing something else, maybe before the end of the year.

    My Post

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-after.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a good week! I'd be happy to read five books in a month... ;) I've read the first Sookie Stackhouse novel and thought it was fun, so I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to read the Sookie Stackhouse series

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the whole Sookie series and I still need to read them :( I think that's going to be my halloween challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My students are all reading Mockingjay (I read it before school started to avoid spoilers) and I think for that reason they have forgotten that 39 Clues #10 is out. I expect it to be very popular in the classroom once we get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by! I've got to start The Hunger Games trilogy soon! I'm thinking I want to try Gail Carriger's books soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to read the 39 Clues books and haven't even read book one yet. GAH! :D I think I will save it for the October readathon.... seems like a good time to dabble in good reads :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read Blameless! I love that series! I hope you enjoy it.

    I also can't wait to unpack my book boxes and find Mockingjay. It gives me an incentive to put up my bookshelf in my new place.

    I look forward to hearing what you think of Extraordinary. I liked Impossible so I think I'll like this one too.

    I am impressed that you were able to read (or reread) five books with all that you have going on. My mom is a teacher and her school just started last week. It is always hard for her to go back after the summer. I hope you find plenty of time to read. It can be a great stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A girl after my own heart! You have so many books I love on your lists. I really want to read Extraordinary and the new Jennifer Crusie novel looks so good! And of course I absolutely adore the Sookie series, one of my favorites! It looks like you have a fantastic set ahead of you.

    Good luck with the new year schedule! I'm sure in a couple of weeks it will be like normal and you'll feel much more adjusted. Until then have a fabulous reading week and thank you so much for stopping by my site earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic group up there. Many of them I have on my list and/or have read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see you are getting caught up on the Sookie series. I really like those.
    I won't read your Mockingjay review until I write mine but I did like the whole series.
    The Carringer books are another series I am eying.
    I hope you've had a great week this week.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!