Monday, March 13, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (March 13, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

This week was a cold and busy one. We had Parent-Teacher Conferences Monday and Thursday evenings and then had Friday off. I set or tied my conference record when I spoke with the parents of 5 of my students. That's 5 out of 330 possible students. No one wants to talk to their child's media teacher unless their child is failing!

I was supposed to have my taxes done on my day off but my tax preparer had a family emergency and resheduled for Monday after school. So, instead, I met with the realtor who will be listing my house for a first consultation. She did a quick walk-through and took some notes. We'll meet for longer this coming Wednesday evening. Also on tap for this week after school is a dentist's appointment for my semi-annual cleaning.

I used my extra time this weekend to go through my bedroom drawers and closet to sort out things to donate. I brought three grocery bags of stuff to the Salvation Army on Friday afternoon and have three more that I'll be dropping off on Monday. I'm paring down the wardrobe of clothes I haven't worn for a year but still have more paring down to do. I don't think I need 25 fleece cardigans of various colors and patterns but I couldn't decided which ones I did want to keep.

We are supposed to have a snowstorm rolling in Sunday afternoon that will last into Monday. I hope I can make it into town for my tax appointment Monday afternoon. I also hope that school isn't cancelled. A cancellation Monday will likely mean that we will be working Easter Monday instead of having it off as it is on the current schedule.

Read Last Week
I read The Sight by Chloe Neill this week it is the second book set in post-apocalyptic New Orleans where the magical barrier broke and paranormals flooded the city and began a war. I enjoy Neill's writing and characters and can't wait for the next book in this series. My review will be posted April 1.

Currently
The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick jumped ahead in line on my Review pile. Since I got this DRC from First to Read via Adobe Digital Editions which expire after a limited number of days, I moved it up to avoid any chance it will expire before I read it. So far I'm enjoying this romantic suspense title set in the 1930s - a new time period for the author. This is a May 9 release.

Next Week
Back to review books debuting in April....
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

New additions to the Review Stack:
Change Agent by Daniel Suarez (April 18)
Big City Heat by David Burnsworth (April 25)
Edited Out by E. J. Copperman (May 16)
Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy (July 11)
Hunting Hour by Margaret Mizushima (August 8)
Dead Man's Bridge by Robert J. Mrazek (August 8)
Among the Dead by J. R. Backlund (August 8) 

New Purchases (All for my Kindle this week):
Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop (Keeper Copy)
Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs
The Final Cut by Catherine Coulter and J. R. Ellison
Kill Without Shame by Alexandra Ivy
Gemini Cell by Myke Cole
Veiled Eyes by C. L. Bevill
City of Beads by Tony Dunbar

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

15 comments:

  1. Those darn snow days always took away our Easter vacation days. It was so nice to have Monday off, but it usually didn't happen.

    I hate paring down. I always say: "Oh I will wear that again some day."

    No one wanted to conference with me either when I was teaching - agreed they don't care to talk to the media teacher. :)

    ENJOY your books and reading week, and thanks for coming by my blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like your storm is heading our way here in Quebec. I started some spring cleaning too but not with my closets yet. I tackled my books instead. I have 4 bags to give away. Amanda Quick new book caught my eye on another blog. It looks good and I hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get snow days (unless the electricity goes out). It always feels good to clean out the house a bit and give to charity. Nice mix of mysteries and thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!! Love Chloe's books! So behind in Anne's series! Hoping to get caught up one day soon!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was nice of you to donate to The Salvation Army. I admire you for simplifying your wardrobe. Looks like you read a lot of interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a pretty busy week. Hope you don't get too much snow. I know I'm ready for winter to end, spring may be a week away but our snow and cold generally lingers until mid May. The only book I recognize is the Anne Bishop one, though I haven't read any of that series, the cover is what I recognize. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the snowstorm passed you by! We got hit but not too terribly, thank goodness.

    I really need to read Anne Bishop! I had it all typed in to my library search to place a hold then I got distracted by a different book. Lol. Also, I can't wait to read the newest Patricia Briggs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We (of course) did not get snow but we did get some very cold weather. You've certainly got lots to read, in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good reading and lots of work done as well. 25 cardigans is a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you, cleaning out your closets. A couple years ago I sorted through my clothes and then hung all the hangers backwards. As I wore things the hangers got turned forwards. After nine months or so, anything not worn was purged! It always feels so refreshing to sort and organize and clean and make space.

    I've got "Gone Without a Trace" coming up too, and I'm hoping to read book 2 in The Others series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm seeing Etched in Bone a lot! Will have to check it out. Good luck with your clearing-out and downsizing! We have a snow day today, but I don't feel like tackling any house projects...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you survived that latest blast of snow. Hopefully it'll all be done soon. I have not read an Amanda Quick book is quite awhile. I'll have to check that one out as I really liked her books in the past. And I keep seeing Gone Without a Trace. I think I need to add that one too. Keep warm and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm interested in Gone without a Trace. It looks like one I can eat up in no time. I hope the family emergency wasn't anything serious. Parent conferences? What is that? (note the sarcasm) If it makes you feel any better, no parent wants to talk to the math teacher, either, unless their child is failing - and rarely even then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for the clean-out and donation! We need to do a LOT of that - especially in our basement. The snow storm hit us today, with a lot of ice on top of the snow - ugh.

    Looks like you have an interesting variety going right now - enjoy your books this week!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh - you are spring cleaning! What a great idea. I manged to go through a bunch of my little one's clothes that had been piling up in the cupboard and I've finally packed away those I want to keep and those I want to get rid of! What a relief!

    I hope the snowstorm isn't awful and that you don't have a cancellation on Monday!

    I can't wait to start the Bishop series - I haven't read any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!