Monday, March 27, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (March 27, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

This was a quiet week with cooler than normal temperatures which kept me inside.

I had a woman call and want to take a look at my house even though it won't go on the market officially until late in May. She liked it and thought it would work well for her and her two kids. She called the next day because her banker wanted information about the taxes. Seems like she could be a serious buyer for my house. My fingers are crossed that she can get everything in order to buy the house.

I also met with the painter who is going to paint the place from top to bottom. His bid came late in the week. Our original plan was to have it painted April 24-28 but I called and postponed until May 22-26. It will give me more time to get things in boxes and less time to scuff up the paint during my sale and moving. I'm hoping to sell enough surplus stuff to make some room for him to move around.

Last Friday a friend came over after school and we tackled my office. My office supplies closet is now empty with most things going into the rummage sale pile. Next Friday we are going to start packing books. Hopefully we'll get the ones in my family room and office boxed up. The main problem in that books in boxes take up much more room than books on shelves. But the bookshelves need to be empty and detached from the walls before the painter can do his job because they have no backs and are going with me anyway. We're going to save the wall of books in the Master Bedroom until after the rummage sale and the painting because those bookshelves are remaining, have backs, and can be painted around. Another large basket of clothes were discovered when we went through a couple more closets and were taken to the Salvation Army on Saturday.

Meanwhile at work, this coming week is the last week of the third quarter and will be filled with report cards for my 300+ students. I'm down to less than 50 work days remaining until retirement.

Read Last Week
Alice and the Assassin by R. J. Koreto was a historical mystery starring Alice Roosevelt and her bodyguard. I enjoyed the setting, characters and mystery. My review will be posted on April 8

Currently
Change Agent by Daniel Suarez is a near-future hard science fiction story of a man who has his DNA changed to that of a most-wanted criminal and who is fighting to get his identity back.

Next Week
More from my review stack:
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
  • The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi begins a new series by one of my favorite science fiction authors.
  • The Residence by Kate Andersen Brower was a Kindle Daily Deal that caught my attention.
  • Tricky Twenty-Two by Janet Evanovich was also a Kindle Daily Deal. However, the last one I read was Eighteen and I need to catch up before I read this one.
  • A Panicked Premonition by Victoria Laurie was added to my review stack after I was invited to download it at NetGalley. It will be released July 4.
To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like a terrific selection on books. Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice and the Assassin looks really good. I love historical mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that you may already have a buyer for your house. You have a lot of students, I didn't realize it was so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are moving right along! I am impressed by how you keep all those "balls in the air." Moving is very stressful, but you seem very organized and calm about it. Good luck with the sale.

    I want to start reading more Stephanie Plum books.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic that you already have someone interested in your house. Hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Janet Evanovich series is on my reading wish list. Happy reading! :)

    http://www.readingwithbeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love Victoria Laurie's books. I got away from them when I started blogging and became obsessed with YA, but I really should figure out where I left off with the series I was reading and get back to it. I also used to love the Stephanie Plum series, but gave up after 19 or 20 because it was just the same thing over and over.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy reading!

    ~Marie @ Ramblings of a Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you all the best in selling your house. Moving is not easy huh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOohhh the new Abby Cooper book!! I SO need to get caught up in this series!!! Hope you enjoy all these reads as well!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You're almost a retired woman. How exciting! My aunt raves about Evanovich. I have to figure out which book to start with . Have an awesome week! Crossing my fingers for warmer weather.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  11. The countdown has begun!! How exciting! Also, as a fan of office supplies, I love that you have an office supply closet. :)

    Good luck with the house, it would be perfect if this lady ends up buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you're getting close! And transporting books is big work! Hope it all goes well, especially with the prospective buyer.

    Change agent looks like one I would like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the buyer works out! Lots of work coming your way. Are you X-ing the days off the calendar? A couple of books have my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a perfect person to buy your house...hope it all works out.

    I hope the emptying and moving go well. It seems as if you are moving right along. Doing it a little at a time is the best way.

    Nice books for you and a great week.

    Hooray on 50 days left. You will have a lot of time after those 50 days are over, but enjoy the remaining time at school.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the retirement plans. And good luck with the purging and the move. Sounds like a lot on your plate but it probably feels good to rid yourself of 'stuff'. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your near retirement. More time to read. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't envy you packing books...but at least they are easier to pack than, say, dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice that you have a prospective buyer. That could work out nicely. Sounds like you are as organized with your packing as you are with your blog. Always so prepared ahead of time. :-) I've learned NOT to put the books in the big boxes because they are too heavy.
    I hope you are enjoying the Suarez title.
    I am into Scalzi's Old Man War series.
    Enjoy your reading and packing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those 50 days will fly past. Hope everything continues to go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!