Friday, January 19, 2018

Friday Memes: Year One by Nora Roberts

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Dumfries, Scotland

When Ross MacLeod pulled the trigger and brought down the pheasant, he had no way of knowing he'd killed himself. And billions of others.
Friday 56:
Resolved, Laura stepped back. "I'll pack, for both of us. We won't need much."

"Warm clothes," he told her. "And wear something you can move in, run in, if necessary. We'll pack up food -- but keep that light for now, too. Flashlights, extra batteries, water, a couple of blankets. We can get more supplies once we're on the road."
This week I am reading Year One by Nora Roberts. Here is the description from Amazon:
It began on New Year’s Eve.

The sickness came on suddenly, and spread quickly. The fear spread even faster. Within weeks, everything people counted on began to fail them. The electrical grid sputtered; law and government collapsed―and more than half of the world’s population was decimated.

Where there had been order, there was now chaos. And as the power of science and technology receded, magick rose up in its place. Some of it is good, like the witchcraft worked by Lana Bingham, practicing in the loft apartment she shares with her lover, Max. Some of it is unimaginably evil, and it can lurk anywhere, around a corner, in fetid tunnels beneath the river―or in the ones you know and love the most.

As word spreads that neither the immune nor the gifted are safe from the authorities who patrol the ravaged streets, and with nothing left to count on but each other, Lana and Max make their way out of a wrecked New York City. At the same time, other travelers are heading west too, into a new frontier. Chuck, a tech genius trying to hack his way through a world gone offline. Arlys, a journalist who has lost her audience but uses pen and paper to record the truth. Fred, her young colleague, possessed of burgeoning abilities and an optimism that seems out of place in this bleak landscape. And Rachel and Jonah, a resourceful doctor and a paramedic who fend off despair with their determination to keep a young mother and three infants in their care alive.

In a world of survivors where every stranger encountered could be either a savage or a savior, none of them knows exactly where they are heading, or why. But a purpose awaits them that will shape their lives and the lives of all those who remain.

The end has come. The beginning comes next.

17 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this one. It sounds frightening...and like something that could actually happen. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “PROMISE NOT TO TELL”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have this on my list and can't wait to read it! Hope it lives up to the hype:)

    My Friday 56 from Look For Her

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a ARC of this one since some time last year. I want to read it (but it seems so big) and I'll be interested in what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on the fence about this one. I love Nora Roberts but this one looks sooo different I'm just not sure. I do love the teasers you shared though so maybe that's a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm intrigued. What does it mean that he killed himself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Nora Roberts' novels yet and I really should change that. This one sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good! From the description itself, I might not expected a Nora Roberts' novel. Sounds like a high stakes situation. Thank you for sharing, Kathy! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read anything by Nora Roberts in a while, and Year One sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to try this book. Sounds like a great one! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very intrigued by this one. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fast-paced read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is on my wishlist. I haven't read one of her books in awhile and this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read a Nora Roberts book. Hoping you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds different from the Nora Roberts I've read! Wow, sounds good, and those first lines say so much.

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a beginning! Thanks for sharing the opening on Book Beginnings. I don't often get time to comment or stop by, but I appreciate that you have participated for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great beginning and page 56. Sounds thrilling. It also sounds very different from what Nora Roberts usually writes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oddly enough I've never read a Nora Roberts book, but I did like her writing as JD Robb. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!