Monday, January 8, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 8, 2018)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

The past week was another bitter cold one. However, we didn't get the snow that the East Coast and the South did. Next week is supposed to have a warm up. Of course for January in northern Minnesota, that means that we will have temperatures in the 20s above zero Fahrenheit. I'll take it. I am starting to feel a little house-bound. I also have a doctor's appointment this week that will give me a chance to meet my new gastroenterologist.

The cold weather has given me lots of time to hunker down and read. I took advantage. Of course, I also added way too many to my TBR stack because I couldn't pass up the Amazon deals.

Read Last Week

Adult
  • A Cold Day in Hell by Lissa Marie Redmond - police procedural with complex main character. My review will be posted on Feb. 3.
  • Promise Not to Tell by Jayne Ann Krentz - her latest and a good one. My review will be posted on Jan. 25.
  • Shattered Fear by Tara Thomas - romantic suspense novella. Reviewed on GoodReads and LibraryThing
  • Death& the Viking's Daughter by Loretta Ross - cozy mystery that is 4th in a series but stands alone well and makes me want to read the first three. My review will be posted on Feb. 7.
Young Adult
  • The Greed by Scott Bergstrom - gritty and violent story of a young woman who is a spy. My review will be posted on Jan. 31.
  • Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce - new fantasy from beloved author. My review will be posted on Feb. 2.
  • The Summer of Broken Things by Margaret Peterson Haddix - contemporary story about family with two interesting main characters. I got the ADE copy and needed to read it before it expired. My review is scheduled for April 6.
  • The Sweetest Kind of Fate (Windy City Magic, Book 2) by Crystal Cestari - urban fantasy about a girl who talent is Matchmaking but passion is becoming a pastry chef. My review will be posted on Feb. 7.
Currently
The Cat of the Baskervilles by Vicki Delany (Feb. 13)

Next Week

I'm going to start the week with all review books.

Adult
Young Adult
Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

New Review
New and Already Read
Added to TBR Mountain
  • The Cruel Prince by Holly Black - hardcover of book I've been hearing about
  • Find Her by Lisa Gardner - paperback that tells the story of one of the characters in a recent review book
  • An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole - recommended by a favorite author and a Kindle Deal
What was your week like?

19 comments:

  1. Wow that's a lot books well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, perfect weather for reading (or buying books). I want to read that Holly Black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded Promise Not To Tell this week...and I'm curious about The Summer of Broken Things.

    We've had some fairly cold nights and balmy days (66 degrees).

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good books. Most of them are new to me. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of books. My reading has gone into a slump- I am trying to catch up on the reviews at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOoh nice!! I just stared reading The Sweetest Kind of Fate! Already at the heartbroken stage of things! Lol! Should be able to finish it up tomorrow! Hope you enjoy this week's queue!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The one advantage of extremely cold temps is that you don't tend to get any snow. We just went through that ourselves, with two weeks of -40, but now it's warmed up enough to where we are getting snow. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had both frigid weather and a ton of snow. I much prefer summer to winter. Great list of books...I have a few of them on my TBR. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best thing about all the cold weather is more time to stay indoors and read. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, last week was great for reading. We had a warm up too! Lots of goodies this week. Looking forward to Promise Not To Tell. Enjoyed a few of these books. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Cat of Baskervilles sounds good, I like anything with a cat :) We had -21 Saturday night, but it is warmer this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seeing The Cruel Prince everywhere. I hope you love your new books. Bitterly cold here and lots of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes a warm up in the upper Midwest is relative, isn't it? Although it hit almost 40 today and felt downright balmy!

    Death & the Viking's Daughter looks cute. And The Turncoat's Gambit does too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Books are the only way I could survive if I lived where you live. I suppose I’d have to at least purchase a coat.

    I do imagine you live in perfect reading weather.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/01/books-i-meant-to-read-in-2017-but-didnt.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy,

    Well! where to start first, as you list so many good sounding books.

    After checking out the individual premises, I think I shall just list the authors which particularly caught my eye as potential TBR additions ...

    Lissa Marie Redmond
    Lucy Kerr
    Clare O'Donohue
    Lisa Gardner

    I hope that you manage to achieve all your reading and reviewing goals this week and thaks for sharing.

    Stay warm and hopefully well :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading is a great way to deal with this super cold weather! We warmed up to 35 degrees today, I was waltzing around outside in just a heavy sweatshirt since it felt super warm out. Lol.

    The Holly Black book looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read a Jayne Ann Krentz book in ages. This one looks good. Have a wonderful, and warm, weekend. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can understand why you put Heart on Fire and Wild Card on your TBR pile, I read them, and they were so freaking fantastic! Hope you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!