Monday, January 15, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 15, 2018)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

This was an interesting weather week. It warmed up midweek and rained. Then it snowed but only 3 inches which fell on top of a sheet of ice. Now, on Saturday morning, we are back in the deep freeze. My brother informed me that it was -17 degrees Fahrenheit when he got up and -16 when he went to work at 9 AM. I don't feel any need to leave the house to experience it myself. The forecast is for a high of 1 degree but with the wind it will feel substantially colder. Tomorrow they are predicting 8 degrees and snow showers. Our next warm up, when they are predicting 15 degrees, won't be until Wednesday.

I should be gathering information for my taxes but am still waiting for my W2 from the school district and statements from my investments. I'm also not eager to sort through years of paper looking for home improvements that were made on the Locust Street house so that I can lower the taxes on the money I received from the sale. I know the papers exist because my brother never throws anything away but he isn't particularly organized and most papers are still in boxes we moved from Locust Street and never unpacked. I know I have until April but I want to get my taxes done so they aren't hanging over my head like an anvil.

Meanwhile, I am spending a lot of time reading and have made a pretty large dent in the pile of books that are releasing in February. This week looks like it will be YA heavy since last week I concentrated on adult books.

Read Last Week
  • No One Can Know by Lucy Kerr - 2nd Stillwater General Mystery. My review will be posted on Feb. 12.
  • Honor Among Thieves by Rachel Caine & Ann Aguirre - YA Epic Science Fiction and my favorite book of the week. My review will be posted on Feb. 11.
  • Something to Howl About by Christine Warren - prequel novella to her new Alphaville urban fantasy series. My review has been posted on Amazon, GoodReads, and LibraryThing.
Currently
Murder in Bloomsbury by D. M. Quincy is the second in the Atlas Catesby historical mystery series.

Next Week
  • A Call to Arms by David Weber, Timothy Zahn and Tom Pope has been on TBR mountain since Oct. 6, 2015. I pulled it off and put it on the calendar because I just got the 3rd book in the series for review. 
  • Little Girl Gone by Gerry Schmitt has been on TBR mountain since Sept. 26, 2017.
  • Ink, Iron, and Glass by Gwendolyn Clare (Feb. 20) - YA review book from Macmillan
  • Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda (Feb. 20) - YA review book from Macmillan
  • Fire and Bone by Rachel A. Marks (Feb. 20) - YA review book from NetGalley
  • The Tombs by Deborah Schaumberg (Feb. 20) - YA review book from Edelweiss
Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Free:

Bought:

Review:
What was your week like?

21 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy; thanks for dropping by this morning. Wow, you read books like race car. I'll be checking out some of your titles. I don't know how you survive in such cold weather. Do you have a high heater bill? We, Californians, are cold if it's below 61°, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I hear you about the taxes. I like to get them done and over with. :)

    My son read THE TREACHEROUS CURSE and enjoyed it. I hope you do too.

    I like the looks of MURDER IN BLOOMSBURY.

    Stay warm...we are in same boat as you weather wise, but definitely not as cold.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. taxes! Ugh. I have to pay my quarterlies tomorrow. Lots of great-looking books today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I feel for you with that weather! I think staying in and reading is a perfect plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many delightful books! I am curious about No One Can Know and Little Girl Gone.

    I hate tax time...and finding the necessary paperwork. Mine isn't too complicated, though, and I have a folder with everything I'll need.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice! I am curious about Honor Among Thieves! I hope you enjoyed it! Also curious about Christine Warren's new novella! REALLY need to get caught up on her books!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The upside of the frigid weather is that you can stay indoors and read. Looks like you took advantage of that last week. Hope it warms up again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our weather bounced around quite a bit last week as well. We had freezing rain and then several inches of snow on top of that. In fact they even cancelled the school buses that day, and that almost never happens up here. Good luck finding those papers. Honestly getting taxes done early is such a good idea, we try to do them early every year as well. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is nice to get to stay inside and read instead of freezing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Philosopher's Flight looks fun, and I'm kinda intrigued by Honor among Thieves too. As for the weather, it's been much the same here. Not quite as cold but same general thing- we had a brief thaw and then the deep freezer was back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm adding the Ambrose Deception to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're expecting more snow tomorrow too. It's so cold outside. I hope you have a great week! Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You seem super-organized with your reading. :-) I am detesting the cold weather...two cancellations, one call-off and battling Raynaud's Phenomenon has been my past week with that. I hope this week is great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of Ink, Iron and Glass! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Historical mysteries are fast becoming one of my favorite genres. I like the look of Murder in Bloomsbury and Honor Among Thieves. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man! Retired life looks great! You're reading so much! I'm not a huge paranormal reader, but I definitely appreciate the large amounts of books you're consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best of luck in finding the paperwork needed. I always start out the year being very organized and then fall into old habits of putting it somewhere and forgetting where that was!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with doing your taxes and all that boring stuff that isn't reading :)
    I'd like to read Little Girl Gone. Some of your cozies look interesting to me. Enjoy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brrr- I am cold at 23 tonight so I do not want your weather.
    Good luck pulling together the info for your taxes. We have boxes/files but it is still a bit of a chore.
    You have so many books that could interest me. I have several David Weber - hope to read/listen to at least one this year. I also have A Perfect Grave in my TBR and want to read Rick Mofina.
    Thanks for sharing your reads so I can enjoy some of those vicariously. :-)
    Stay inside, safe and warm and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel the same about taxes. The sooner it’s taken care of, the better. I hope you enjoy your books this week and have an amazing reading week, Kathy. Happy reading. ❤️😁

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's weird for me, living with Celsius temperature measuring, vs. Fahrenheit! And yeah that you enjoyed Honor Among Thieves, I absolutely loved it, it was such an engaging read! Hope you had a great week! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!