Tuesday, February 20, 2018

First Paragraph/Teaser Tuesday: Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posted the first paragraph of a book she is reading or planning to read. In 2018, Vicki from I'd Rather Be at the Beach is taking over this meme.

Here's mine:
Prologue

Two children, a brother and a sister, played down by the Old Bridge nearly every day, weather permitting. None observing them would have guessed they were a prince and a princess. The boy, the younger of the two, was generally up to his elbows in mud due to his brave exploits as a frog catcher. His sister, though significantly more prim, was often barefoot and sported a few leaves and flowers stuck in her hair. She thought these romantic, but her nurse, when she brushed the princess's hair at night, called them "common," and said it with a distinct sniff.
 
Link up here. It is very easy to play along:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! Everyone loves Teaser Tuesday.
Here's mine:
Fidel cleared his throat. There are many expressive ways a king may clear his throat; this one expressed keen interest. "Just how great would you say your kingdom is?"

"How great can you imagine, King Fidel?"

"Rather great."

"Mine is greater."
This week I am spotlighting Heartless from Anne Elisabeth Stengl which has been on my TBR pile since July, 2, 2010. Here is the description from Amazon:
Princess Una of Parumvir has come of age and will soon be married. She dreams of a handsome and charming prince, but when the first suitor arrives, she finds him stodgy and boring. Prince Aethelbald from the mysterious land of Farthestshore has traveled far to prove his love--and also to bring hushed warnings of danger. A dragon is rumored to be approaching Parumvir.

Una, smitten instead with a more dashing prince, refuses Aethelbald's offer--and ignores his warnings. Soon the Dragon King himself is in Parumvir, and Una, in giving her heart away unwisely, finds herself in grave danger. Only those courageous enough to risk everything have a hope of fighting off this advancing evil.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful cover, and very interesting teaser and description! Looks like a good twist on fairy tales. :-) Here's my Teaser/Intro for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2018/02/teaser-tuesdayfirst-chapter-first_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd pass on this one. YA, especially fantasy, is not usually my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first paragraph, but stopped when I read of the dragon. Sorry. Not my thing. I do hope its enjoyable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds lovely! Great intro and teaser...enjoy! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep thinking that I need to branch out into fantasy. This book sounds like a good place to start.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ Writing With a Texas Twang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not my usual genre but I do like the intro and teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantasy isn't my usual genre but this one sounds very interesting. The cover is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will pass on this too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the writing style but I'm not a fan of fantasy - well done for getting around to clearing an old book from the TBR, I do hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!