Friday, April 27, 2018

Friday Memes: Better Off Read by Nora Page

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
In all her seventy-five years, Cleo Watkins had never harmed another human being. Not intentionally, and certainly not in anger. Cleo considered herself a proper, well-mannered Southern lady. She'd never harmed a book. Cleo was a librarian.
Friday 56:
Bitsy pressed her hands in prayer formation. "I was in the back, looking at cookbooks. Mama Givens was only trying to start the air-conditioning up. She said she needed to give it a boost, and we started going, but we couldn't stop it. It's like the brakes gave out. They were smooshy, and then nothing." Bitsy exhaled and lowered her voice to a whisper. "Mama may have punched the gas once or twice, but only because she was trying to get a pedal that worked."
This week I am reading Better Off Read by Nora Page. This is the debut in a new series starring a librarian as a detective. Here is the description from Amazon:
When her best hope of saving her storm-damaged library is found murdered, senior librarian Cleo Watkins hits the road in her bookmobile in search of justice.

Septuagenarian librarian Cleo Watkins won’t be shushed when an upstart young mayor threatens to permanently shelve her tiny town’s storm-damaged library. She takes to her bookmobile, Words on Wheels, to collect allies and rally library support throughout Catalpa Springs, Georgia.

However, Cleo soon rolls into trouble. A major benefactor known for his eccentric DIY projects requests all available books on getting away with murder. He’s no Georgia peach, and Cleo wonders if she should worry about his plans. She knows she should when she discovers him bludgeoned and evidence points to her best friend, Mary-Rose Garland.

Sure of Mary-Rose’s innocence, Cleo applies her librarian’s sleuthing skills to the case, assisted by friends, family, and the dapper antiquarian bookseller everyone keeps calling her boyfriend. Evidence stacks up, but a killer is overdue to strike again. With lives and her library on the line, Cleo must shift into high gear to close the book on murder in Better Off Read, the charming Bookmobile series debut by Nora Page.

16 comments:

  1. Oh no. A book about a librarian read by a librarian. A favorite topic of mine, too. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleo sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for sharing...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at librarian! This is another one for my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Catherine! LOL Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She never harmed a book. Ha! That's great. I'm doing an old mystery this week: Lament For A Maker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Librarian books are the absolute best! I have a feeling that this is one I should try as well. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There does seem to be a plethora of cozy mysteries being shared in this week's BBOF, so as this isn't a genre I read on too regular a basis, I should have enough choice of good series, to last me for some time!

    A book that is about books, is always going to win in the 'What To Read Next' stakes for me and the fact that 'no books were harmed in the writing of this story', is a great plus!

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of the book :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this new cozy series, Kathy! I'm always on the lookout for them. This one sounds fun.

    My Friday 56 from Shadowfall

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a really great cozy. Love the cover too. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bahaha I love that intro - of course she's a librarian. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. "Overdue," indeed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one coming up on my reading list and am really looking forward to it. I love bookish cozies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every week, these cosy mystery covers make me smile. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Cleo!! :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!