Monday, April 9, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (April 9, 2018)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading... 

I'm writing this on a sunny, cold Saturday morning. We had snow three days last week but the stronger sun melted all of it away in between the snow showers. We still have quite a bit of snow on the ground. The roads are clear but the ground is still about 90% snow covered. I really want Spring but forecasts are for a colder than normal April.

The next snow is forecast for Monday which also happens to be the day I am attending my first Chair Yoga class at one of Duluth's new Middle Schools. I know where it is but have never been there and am not really eager to drive in snow to get there. Hopefully, the snow will be as light as the last few snowfalls.

I have been keeping busy watching baseballs. The Atlanta Braves are my first choice but I'll have any game on in the background while I'm reading. I have also still been watching The Voice which I usually watch on my computer the day after it airs because it seems to always overlap my Braves games. 

I also enjoyed watching Jesus Christ Superstar last Sunday evening and am listening this morning to the remastered CD edition of the 1970 recording. I had this musical on LPs but got rid of all my LPs when I moved. Most went to a friend's son who was just getting into collecting vinyl. The others were scooped up by people attending my moving/rummage sale.

Read Last Week
  • Flowers and Foul Play by Amanda Flower - cozy mystery set in Scotland with a woman fleeing a broken heart who inherits a magical garden. My review will be posted May 5.
  • Lake Silence by Anne Bishop - a reread of a favorite book.
  • The Plastic Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg - an alternate history fantasy about a young woman learning the new magic of manipulating plastic. It is also a mystery and a romance. My review will be posted on May 9.
  • Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett - a long, young adult epic fantasy that doesn't distinguish itself from the myriads of other YA epic fantasies. My review will be posted on May 4.
  • Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire - I chose this one from my TBR mountain because I enjoy epic fantasy and this series has been nominated for a Hugo Award. My review will be posted on May 10.
  • Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over by Shani Petroff - a YA romance I got for review from Macmillan. It was engaging and entertaining. My review will be posted May 9.
Currently
The Game Can't Love You Back by Karole Cozzo is another of my recent review books from Macmillan. I am enjoying this sports romance and have just a few chapters left.

The Queen of Sorrow by Sarah Beth Durst is next. This is the third book in the Queens of Renthia series.


Next Week
For my adult reads this week, I an digging into my TBR pile. I have the first books in series where I had review copies from later in the series and wanted to catch up and one mystery that has been sitting on TBR mountain for over a year.
Two of my YA picks this week are from my review stack. The other one has been on TBR mountain since 2010.
Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
Bad Neighbors by Maia Chance
The Shadow of Death by Jane Willan
Lord of the Pies by Nell Hampton

On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
The Stone Girl's Story by Sarah Beth Durst
The Summer of Broken Things by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Bought
All Systems Red by Martha Wells (free book from Tor.com)
Pocket Apocalypse by Seanan McGuire
Half-Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire
 Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire
Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Uncorking a Lie by Nadine Nettmann
Decanting a Murder by Nadine Nettmann

Review Books
The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager (July 3)
The Disappearing by Lori Roy (July 17)

What was your week like?

19 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great reading week! And those new books you got look amazing. I will definitely be adding to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pgh Pirates will beat the Braves anyday!!LOL (My hometown team)! Flowers and Foul Play sounds like a good cozy, I bet you liked that one!!
    Iced Chiffon looks good!! I like cozies!! Great week for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers and Foul Play looks really interesting. Enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice variety of reading! I just enjoyed your detailed review of The Cruel Prince. I received a signed copy of this book this month and now I cannot WAIT to start it. But since it's signed, I'm laughing at the fact that I want to check it out from the library to read so that I don't get my fingerprints on this one. HAHA! Anyway, I'm very excited about this read. Thanks for sharing your reading for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover of Uncorking a Lie. I have that new Durst book to read too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Jesus Christ Superstar as well. I had seen the stage production a long time ago. The Neandrathal book looks interesting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad Neighbors sounds good! Thanks for sharing..and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Haddix as an author so I'm curious about The Summer of Broken Things. Looks like it's colder where you are than here up north. Snow is pretty much all melted here in Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy chair yoga. I like it. Uncorking a Lie looks good. Hope you warm up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice! Quite a few new to me ones! I enjoyed Lake Silence though! And The Cruel Prince was amazing!! Trying to contain my envy over everyone who's reading the ARCs of the sequel, keep telling myself they're going to have to wait even longer for the next one! Lol! Happy Reading!

    Here’s my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the snow melts soon. It snowed here this morning, but it’s already melted. Have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great books on your list. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you had quite a week of reading! Those are mostly new to me, too - more new books to add to my TBR list. I love that. Hope you don't have to do too much driving in the snow. We're still having unseasonably cold weather but fortunately NO snow. And we're still watching basketball in our house, no baseball - yet.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boo snow! Especially when driving a new area! But yeah, books! I love how Lake Silence is a favourite even though it's only been out about a month + the time you had it as an ARC :) And go the Seanan McGuire series! I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read book 7 which just recently came out! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had rain when you had snow. I'm not going to read your review of Bad Neighbors yet because I have a copy preordered at my bookshop. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope the snow lightens up! It's been the same just not quite as bad- most of the snow has melted but it's still been in 20's at night and not getting out of the 40's day. Sigh.

    I thought Discount Armagedon was pretty good but haven't the sequels yet. I enjoyed All Systems Red and I need to read Cruel Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many cool looking books!

    Hope you had fun at yoga! I love yoga, and I really need to get back to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Plastic Magician sounds so interesting! How do writers come up with these concepts?!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!