Friday, April 20, 2018

Friday Memes: What You Want to See by Kristen Lepionka

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Urban renewal was in the air on Bryden Road. The dilapidated house across the street from my apartment had been condemned, foreclosed, and eventually purchased by a fighty grad-student couple who appeared to be using the renovation process as experimental marriage counseling.
Friday 56:
I stopped in my bedroom to swap out my shirt for a tank top. As I got closer to the kitchen, I smelled freshly baked bread and rosemary. I said hey and stood in the doorway, taking in Shelby's expression of absolute horror as she brandished a small canister of garlic powder. "This expired nine years ago."
This week I am spotlighting What You Want to See by Kristen Lepionka. This is the second Roxanne Weary mystery. Here is the description from Amazon:
The thrilling follow up to The Last Place You Look, starring troubled and determined private investigator, Roxane Weary

Marin Strasser has a secret. Her fiancé thinks her secret is that she’s having an affair, and he hires P.I. Roxane Weary to prove it. Then, just days into the case, Marin is shot to death on a side street in an apparent mugging. But soon enough the police begin to focus on Roxane's client for Marin’s death, so she starts to dig deeper into Marin’s life―discovering that the elegant woman she’s been following has a past and a half, including two previous marriages, an adult son fresh out of prison, and a criminal record of her own. The trail leads to a crew of con artists, an ugly real estate scam that defrauds unsuspecting elderly homeowners out of their property, and the suspicious accident of a wealthy older woman who lives just down the street from where Marin was killed.

With Roxane’s client facing a murder indictment, the scammers hit close to home to force Roxane to drop the case, and it becomes clear that the stakes are as high as the secrets run deep.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds really good. I like how Marin's secret seems a common one at first, then becomes more and more complex.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that renovating a building would be good marriage therapy. Sounds like a fun one. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! Home renovation is one things I've never wanted to do. I'd be overwhelmed the first day! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'd love for your readers to check out THE UNINVITED CORPSE . . . https://www.facebook.com/elleryadamswritesmysteries/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urban renewal takes me back. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like an interesting story. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great one! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found things in my cupboard nine years old! lol Sounds like a great book!

    Thanks for popping over to see my choices for today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to the beginning. I live in an urban core that is under gentrification. Ew to the 56. LOL. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both quotes are great. Nine years old! Sounds like my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this sounds awesome! I'm dying to read this now! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend :)

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Reading. Hope it's an action-packed, intriguing mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds a complicated case to crack - dangerous too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not usually into Crimes and Thrillers but this has intrigued me!

    Have a good weekend!

    Amy @ Amy's Bookish Life

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this sounds good and I've been in the mood for more thriller-y type mysteries lately!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds good - I may have to look into the series. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!