Friday, July 27, 2018

Friday Memes: The Butterfly Conspiracy by Vivian Conroy

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
"Merula!" Julia DeVeere's voice resounded from the other room. "Come in here and work your magic on my unruly locks."
Friday 56:
It sounded cynical, and Merula blushed painfully. She rushed to say, "I don't mean it to sound as if I'm analyzing a case. Your mother's death is not a case, of course."
This week I am reading The Butterfly Conspiracy by Vivian Conroy. I got this eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
In late Victorian times, when new inventions cause both excitement and terror, a mysterious death at a zoological lecture brings together two unlikely allies in a quest through London's upper crust and underbelly to unravel the ingenious murder method and killer behind it.

Miss Merula Merriweather is not like other women her age: instead of hunting for a husband at balls and soirees she spends her time in a conservatory hatching exotic creatures. As the Royal Zoological Society won't accept a woman's accomplishments, she has her uncle Rupert take credit for her achievements. But at a zoological lecture, the guest of honor dies after contact with one of Merula's butterflies, and Merula's uncle is arrested for murder.

In an attempt to safeguard evidence to prove his innocence, Merula almost gets killed but for the timely interference of enigmatic Lord Raven Royston. Viewing natural history as a last resort to regain respectability lost by too many dubious business investments, Raven didn't expect his first lecture to take a murderous turn. Feeling partially responsible because he encouraged Merula to release the gigantic butterfly from the glass case in which it was kept, Raven suggests they solve the puzzle of Lady Sophia's sudden death together by looking closer at her relations with estranged friends, long suffering staff and the man groomed to be her heir, so close to her money and yet unable to touch any of it.

With the police looking for them, and every new discovery raising more questions than answers, especially about the murder method which left no traces of foul play on the body, Merula will have to risk her own life to get at the truth and save her uncle from the gallows in The Butterfly Conspiracy, Vivian Conroy’s enchanting series debut. 

11 comments:

  1. This is the second time this week I've seen this book on a blog. I'm curious about it, and put it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great excerpts, and the story and characters sound fascinating. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a name I've not seen before, Merula. Sound like a fun mystery. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine. https://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviews72718

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great snippets. It sounds like an interesting mystery. I'm gonna have to add this to my wishlist. Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already have this on my wish list. Got a feeling I'm going to love it. Don't you think it would be a good movie?

    My Friday 56 from A Proper Hellhound

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover and snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely like the sound of this one. The cover is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, this sounds fantastic! I love the cover also! Hope you're enjoying the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the sound of this and the 'upper crust and underbelly' lol

    Have a great weekend! Here is my Friday56 and Book Beginning!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!