Friday, July 20, 2018

Friday Memes: Murder, She Reported by Peg Cochran

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
It was six-thirty at night and Elizabeth Adams was still at her desk. The newsroom was comparatively quiet--the usual cacophony of clattering typewriter keys absent for the time being.
Friday 56:
It was a short walk to the Colony at Madison and Sixty-first Street. Gloria chattered about a range of subjects from the DeWitts' horse's chances at Aqueduct that weekend to her opinion of the latest spring gowns from Paris beginning to appear in the shops.
This week I am reading Murder, She Reported by Peg Cochran. I got the eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
A Park Avenue princess discovers the dark side of 1930s New York when a debutante ball turns deadly in this gripping historical mystery for readers of Victoria Thompson, Anne Perry, and Rhys Bowen.

Manhattan, 1938. Tired of being trapped in the gilded cage of her family’s expectations, Elizabeth Adams has done what no self-respecting socialite would think to do: She’s gotten herself a job. Although Elizabeth’s dream is to one day see her photographs on the front page of the Daily Trumpet, for now she’s working her way up as the newsroom’s gal Friday.

But fetching coffee isn’t exactly her idea of fun. So when veteran reporter Ralph Kaminsky needs a photographer to fill in for a last-minute assignment, Elizabeth jumps at the chance. At the Waldorf Hotel, Elizabeth is tasked with tracking down the season’s “It girl,” Gloria DeWitt, who will be making her society debut. Working her own connections to New York’s upper crust, Elizabeth manages to land an exclusive interview with Gloria.

Then Gloria’s stepmother is shot dead in a Waldorf bathroom, placing Elizabeth at the scene of a headline-worthy scandal: “Murder of a Society Dame.” Now Elizabeth will have to get the scoop on the killer before her good name gets dragged through the gossip columns—or worse. . . .

16 comments:

  1. This one is definitely for me. Adding it to my list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love the era and the sound of this book. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 20s/30s period and this cover really fits the theme! Hope you enjoy.

    My Friday 56 for this week is Spilt Wine by Michael Walsh.

    Enjoy your weekend! Hope you get lots of reading done!

    Luv Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is on my wishlist. It sounds awesome! Hope you enjoy! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good!! Adding it to my list now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great. I'm adding it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quotes! I really like the sound of this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good. The cover reminds me of Rhys Bowen's books. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds cool. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a book I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Reading. Hope it's a fun mystery for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your Goodreads review of this one Kathy and like yourself, I would quite like to see it become the start of a series.

    I will be the first to admit that the majority of Peg's books are probably a bit too 'cozy' for my liking.

    However if she manages to keep 'Murder, She Reported' running more along the lines of a classical 'whodunnit', as regards the narrative and dialogue, then there is real potential and would certainly get my vote!

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could so imagine all this in a film noir... I started reading the beginning and it appeared in my head just like that! Awesome!

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun book! Love the cover!

    Thanks for always participating in Book Beginnings on Friday.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!