Tuesday, September 4, 2018

First Paragraph/Teaser Tuesday: Read and Gone by Allison Brook

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posted the first paragraph of a book she is reading or planning to read. In 2018, Vicki from I'd Rather Be at the Beach is taking over this meme.

Here's mine:
I glanced around my cottage at the thirty or so guests laughing and chatting, and grinned. My party's a success. They're all having a great time! Judging by the bulging plastic bag of discarded paper plates, it was time to serve dessert. I was on my way to the kitchen to instruct Mrs. C to put out coffee and tea, when I felt a tug on my pants leg.
 
Link up here. It is very easy to play along:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! Everyone loves Teaser Tuesday.
Here's mine:
"I was telling your uncle and Mr. Talbot the circumstances under which my men caught your father running from the scene of the crime."

I nodded. "Yes, he told me. He also swears that he didn't kill Benton Parr."
This week I am featuring Read and Gone: A Haunted Library Mystery by Allison Brook. I got this eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
Twenty million dollars’ worth of missing gems bring Carrie Singleton’s long-lost and larcenous dad back into her life and it’s up to Carrie to clear his name.

A devoted dad is as precious as diamonds, but Carrie Singleton wouldn’t know since her dad Jim’s been on the lam most of her life. In an unusual family reunion, she finds Jim breaking into her cottage in the middle of the night. The fun really starts when he begs her to help him recover his half of a twenty-million-dollar gem heist he pulled off with the local jeweler, Benton Parr. When she refuses, Jim takes off again.

Carrie finds her father again behind bars for the recent murder of Benton Parr. Who made the connection? Unbeknownst to her, Carrie’s boyfriend Dylan, an insurance investigator, has been searching for the gems. Determined to find the jewels herself, she starts examining every facet of Parr’s life. She turns up a treasure trove of suspects, one of whom bashes her on the head as she’s searching the victim’s country cabin.

Retreating to the quiet confines of the library where she works, Carrie watches as Smokey Joe, the resident cat, paws at a hole in the wall. Is he after the library’s ghost Evelyn, or something shinier? The second charming Haunted Library mystery by Allison Brook, Read and Gone will be a delight for fans of Jenn McKinlay and Leslie Meier. 

10 comments:

  1. Another First Paragraph participant shared this book today. I like the book just as much the second time. I'd like to find this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one! I like when a story begins in a cozy setting with happy thoughts...and then everything goes downhill.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd keep reading. I like the intro and the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm featuring and reading this one, too. I'm really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good read and I like the tone of the opener very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh mysterious indeed!! Wondering if he did it then...you never know with mysteries!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that - a tug on my pants leg? lol

    Here's my Tuesday post. Enjoy your day!

    Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good cozy mystery. Thanks for stopping by Girl Who Reads.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!