Monday, June 26, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 26, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another nice summer week. We had some warm temperatures which made me grateful for our central air conditioning. We also had some rain which was badly needed. More rain is expected over the next few days which will be good for the ground but bad for the production of solar energy. This is the time of the year when we want to build up a surplus of solar energy to offset the electric bills of the winter when the panels are covered with snow.

I had a good reading week with a lot of variety. I listened to two audiobooks. Both were from Audible Plus. The first was the third in a series that I recently discovered. The other was a classic romantic suspense title that I read many, many years ago and enjoyed again.

It was also a great week for padding my Review Book stack. I replied to an email from Minotaur books which resulted in approval for a bunch of new titles and approval for titles I had previously requested. I also took a look at the Auto approval tab at NetGalley and added a few more books to my stack from other publishers. At the end of the week, I had 15 new Review books for my stack. 

With no appointments on the calendar for next week, I hope to do a lot of reading. I am slowly rebuilding the cushion that evaporated when I did my J. D. Robb In Death reread. I once had a month's cushion. Now I have a bare two weeks which doesn't feel like enough to me. However, I do six reviews a week. It takes a lot to build a cushion at that posting pace.

This week I plan to concentrate on books from my review stack that will be released in July. I would really like to continue reading the Ruth Galloway series, but I keep telling myself that it is good to space them out too. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Salvage Right by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Review; July 4) -- Set mainly on Tinsori Light, this episode reunites quite a few characters from earlier books and points to a new direction for the series. My review will be posted on June 30.
  • The Miser's Dream by John Gaspard (Audible Plus) -- Magician Eli Marks deals with a locked room mystery in this third book in a series. My review will be posted on July 4.
  • Scandal in Babylon by Barbara Hambly (Mine) -- This historical mystery is set in Hollywood during the days of silent films and the excesses of the 1920s. My review will be posted on July 4.
  • A Cryptic Clue by Victoria Gilbert (Review; July 11) -- First in a new contemporary cozy mystery series starring a retired librarian and a young millionaire. My review will be posted on July 5.
  • An Evil Heart by Linda Castillo (Review; July 11) -- Sheriff Kate Burkholder investigates the brutal death of young Amish man among the preparations for her own wedding. Another excellent addition to the series. My review will be posted on July 6.
  • A Dying Fall by Elly Griffiths (Mine) -- The 5th Ruth Galloway has her in Nelson's childhood haunts investigating a discovery that could be that of King Arthur. My review will be posted on July 8.
  • The Jackal's Head by Elizabeth Peters (Audible Plus) -- This classic romantic suspense by Peters was an excellent story. I read it years ago and enjoyed it just as much this time. My review will be posted on July 6.
  • The Outcast Dead by Elly Griffiths (Mine) -- This 6th in the Ruth Galloway series was another excellent addition to the series. My review will be posted on July 15.
Currently
Next Week

All Review books...
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. I’m sure you will have plenty of Sun soon.
    Yay for Auto-approvals :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could find a way to pipe up some of our extra sunshine during your winter days when your solar collectors are covered with snow!

    Good luck on expanding your reading cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great books on your list. I have A Fatal Groove to review. I enjoyed the first book and looking forward to this one. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a good week and with an appointment-free week ahead there will be plenty of time to read and listen! You have plenty to choose from... hope you enjoy Lessons in Chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We finally got some needed rain too. Hope yours doesn't last too long and you can build up on the solar credits! Have a great week of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audible Plus is so good - that's where I am getting so many Mary Balogh. I never thought of snow covering your solar panels. My goodness so many good reading ahead. Nalini's new book will be one I'll be buying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you like Lessons in Chemistry. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got some rain too. Finally cooled things off. Congrats on the Minotaur news. Lots of great looking books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been eyeing Lessons in Chemistry. Enjoy your books, and I am impressed by how many review books you have added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the Record Shop Mysteries and the Ice Cream Shop Mysteries on my TBR. They sound like so much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Auto-approved titles feel pretty great, espcailly if it's a book that you were really anticipating, but oh, it can get out of control quickly! Thank for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!