Monday, June 12, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 12, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

I had a nice quiet week. The weather was mostly good. Saturday was cloudy, windy, and misty all day. It was okay because we need the rain, and I don't depend on weekends to get outside tasks done. One advantage of retirement is that I can do outdoor tasks whenever the weather is good. 

I enjoyed my reading this week which was a nice combination of books from TBR mountain and new review copies. I read my 200th book of the year this week too. I am currently reading the last June release from my review stack. I'll begin the July stack soon because I have four books releasing on July 4 and eight others releasing later in the month. 

I do want to read the final book in the Outcast Season quartet by Rachel Caine since I've had it since 2012 and it would be nice to finish a series. I also want to read The Queen's Price by Anne Bishop to get caught up on the Black Jewels series. 

I have most of my July reading calendar planned. Most of the slots are being filled by review books, but I have tried to slot in some really old titles too. I looked for old Kindle books to fill in the calendar since I have 130 unread Kindle books from 2009 which was the year I bought my first Kindle. I do still have to choose my audiobooks for the month but have lots of choose from and plan to go on impulse. 

I should be able to read a lot this week. I have an appointment to see a Pulmonologist on Wednesday but the rest of the week is appointment free. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Play for Me by Libby Hubscher (Review; June 20) -- Fun contemporary romance where a fired MLB trainer finds herself working at a private school that focuses on the Arts and meets a grouchy orchestra director. My review will be posted on June 17.
  • Marked by Moonlight by Sharie Kohler (Mine since March 9, 2008) -- Wimpy HS English teacher is bitten by a werewolf and needs the help of a werewolf hunter to kill the alpha who bit her or stay a werewolf for the rest of her life. My review will be posted on June 14.
  • Dead Man's Wake by Paul Doiron (Review; June 27) -- The 14th Mike Bowditch mystery was entertaining and complex and worked well for me even though I haven't read any of the earlier books in the series. My review will be posted on June 20.
  • This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart (Chirp Audiobook) -- First listen of a book I read many years ago. Entertaining romantic suspense set in Greece. My review will be posted on June 27.
  • Misfortune Cookie by Vivien Chen (Review; June 27) -- Lana Lee visits California to attend a restaurant convention and visit her aunt. She ends up solving the murder of her aunt's friend with the help of her sister and her aunt. My review will be posted on June 20.
  • Charlotte Illes Is Not a Detective by Katie Siegel (Review; June 27) -- A former child detective suffers growing pains as she becomes an adult and wonders what is next for her career and life. Engaging characters and entertaining plot. My review will be posted on June 21.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • The Miser's Dream by John Gaspard (Audible Plus)
  • The Stone Circle by Elly Griffiths (Kindle; added audiobook for $2.99) -- Ruth Galloway book 11
  • The Lantern Men by Elly Griffiths (Kindle; added the audiobook for $2.99) -- Ruth Galloway book 12
  • The Night Hawks by Elly Griffiths (Kindle; Added the Audiobook for $2.99) -- Ruth Galloway book 13
  • The Locked Room by Elly Griffiths (Kindle) -- Ruth Galloway book 14
  • The Last Remains by Elly Griffiths (Kindle) -- Ruth Galloway book 15
  • Flop Dead Gorgeous by David Rosenfelt (Hardcover gift from the publisher)
  • The Small Rain by Madeleine L'Engle (Kindle Daily Deal, used Kindle Reward points to get this one free)
  • A Severed Wasp by Madeleine L'Engle (Kindle for $2.99)
What was your week like?

15 comments:

  1. You always have such a wide assortment of books. Wow - you've had a great year of reading! Happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very full bookshelf, as always! The entire second row of the ones you read last week look very interesting to me. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading This Rough Magic when I was a young teen. The setting was amazing, I remember.

    It looks like you are fully-booked for the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love calling in to see what you are up to and what you are reading. So disciplined with all your reading, just read your review on Beyond Heaving Bosoms which I read some time ago. Loved the N Roberts quote you had at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your appointment goes smoothly and your week is filled with all things that bring you joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy rereading books I read when I was younger, though I rarely do it, to see if my opinion changed. Did you like Rough Magic as well as when you read it years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh nice! Some new to me ones except for Rachel Caine's series! Hope you continue to enjoy that one!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 200 books. Wow!

    The Vivien chen looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have many tempting titles. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I'm jealous that you get hardcover books as gifts from the publisher! I guess I would have to be as dedicated and organized as you are to qualify for that, though. ;)
    I've been wanting to try the Vivien Chien Noodle Shop series and I need to get back to the Ruth Galloway series. I'm jealous of your reading time this week, too, but enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on reaching 200! What a great accomplishment. You will have a great reading year. So many neat books on your list. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did great reading 200 books so far. We're only halfway through the year. I love the list of books on your list, especially the cozy mysteries. I hope you enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a well organized reading life. I can only imagine.

    I like the Asaro books about the Kyle rich families. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 200 read already is amazing to me! Good for you. I see several titles that draw me. Mary Stewart was my introduction to romance and consistent reading. I still have a box with several of my paperbacks from those years.
    I am glad you are continuing to enjoy the Andy Carpenter series too.
    So many other books and series that look good too. Happy Reading!
    Martha (I had trouble getting the website to open on google/chrome.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah for a free week-I love Rachel Caine and Anne Bishop's writing! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!