Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Naked in Death by J. D. Robb

Naked in Death
Author: J. D. Robb
Publication: Berkley (August 3, 2004)


Description: In the very first novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling series, Eve Dallas gets involved with Roarke, a suspect in her latest murder case. But passion and seduction have rules all their own.


My Thoughts: The In Death series is one of my favorite books series. I just love the relationship between Eve and Roarke. I thought it was time to go back and read the first book again. It was wonderful to be re-introduced to both Eve and Roarke. I liked Eve's dedication to her job. I was less comfortable with her notion that her only value was through her job. She said, more than once, that without the job she was nothing. I liked Roarke's determination to see where the relationship with Eve would go. He was definitely the more emotionally daring of the two of them. I liked that Eve did trust Roarke and stand up for him.


The mystery itself was less compelling mainly because I remembered who the criminal was. I liked the way the futuristic society was introduced without the infusion of large "info-dumps." 


This was a good start to a series that grows richer and more entertaining with each additional volume. I recommend them to all readers of romantic suspense.


Favorite Quote:
Her pulse jumped, as if it had nothing to do with the rest of her. "Roarke, what's going on here?"


"Lieutenant." He leaned forward, touched his lips to hers. "Indications are we're having a romance." Then he laughed, kissed her again, hard and quick. "I believe I could have held a gun to your head and you wouldn't have looked as terrified. Well, you'll have several days to think it through, won't you?"


She had a feeling several years wouldn't be enough.


3 comments:

  1. Funny ... makes me want to re-read them again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and this is such a great book!

    Thanks for sharing the funny quote and it makes me want to re-read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I just started this series recently (I'm only up to book four) and am really enjoying them so far. I'm liking Evie and Roarke's relationship too, and looking forward to hearing more about the other characters as the books go on.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!