Saturday, December 28, 2013

ARC Review: Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder

Taste of Darkness
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publication: Harlequin MIRA; Original edition (December 31, 2013)

Description: She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?


Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat. The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.

Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.

My Thoughts: This third and concluding volume of the Healer trilogy is as action-packed and emotionally charged as the earlier volumes as it races to resolution. Kerrick is missing and Avry is afraid that he is gone forever. She is holding out hope for him despite her fears. But she can't just brood, armies are massing to defeat the forces of Prince Ryne and a new version of the plague has broken out.

Avry undertakes a variety rescue missions that keep her in danger for most of the book. And Kerrick returns but is significantly changed from the man he was. Now, more than ever, Avry and Kerrick need the bond they have forged together. But Avry also has a bond with the evil magician Tohon who has his own plans for the fifteen realms. 

This epic fantasy was filled with magic, adventure, excitement, and romance. I really enjoyed the character of Avry who was impulsive, headstrong, and stubborn. I recommend this series. 

Favorite Quote:
"Fine. One's almost straight west, the other is southwest about two miles south of the first, but I don't expect trouble."

"Yet, that's the problem with trouble," I said. "It has not manners at all and arrives unexpected most of the time."
I got this eARC from review from NetGalley You can buy your copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!