Sunday, December 29, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 30, 2013)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Christmas Break has been the amazing reading time I was hoping it would be. I got home to visit my brother but impending weather prompted me to return to my house on Friday (before I got a chance to take him out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse ;-(). That means I have almost a week here at home to read, relax, and reorganize.

I should be doing some planning for the last two weeks of this semester and the beginning of next semester when I'll be seeing all new classes. But I am firmly in vacation mode and probably won't get to that. I think I'll be reading, snugly wrapped in my new Harry Potter throw.

Last Week:

I finished nine books this week. Here they are:
Grave Dance by Kalayna Price - I started on audio on the car trip home but finished on my Kindle. I really enjoy this urban fantasy heroine and series.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I thought this book was an amazing story with an achingly real main character.

Going Rogue by Robin Benway - This was a nice sequel to Also Known As. I liked the characters. It wasn't as funny as the first book but made up for it with much more suspense. 
The Girl Is Murder by Kathryn Miller Haines - This YA Edgar nominee has been sitting on my stack for quite a while. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. 

To Dance with the Devil by Cat Adams - This most recent in the Blood Singer series was a great addition. I loved the action and the characters.

One Sweet Ride by Jaci Burton - This spicy romance was okay. I liked the characters but it felt a little like something I have read many times before.
Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown - This romantic suspense title has been on my TBR mountain for a while. I enjoyed the mystery and suspense but thought the romance was a little under-developed. 

The Rule of Three by Eric Walters - This review book was amazing. It is a post-apocalyptic YA that was heart-pounding and action-packed. The unresolved ending makes me very eager for the next book in the series.

Wild Invitation by Nalini Singh - This anthology has been sitting on TBR mountain for a while. I really liked all four of the novellas.

Currently:
The Lost Planet by Rachel Searles is a middle grade science fiction story from my review stack. It will be released on Jan. 28.

Next Week:

It is mostly back to review books for me.
Alienated by Melissa Landers (Feb.  4)
Cress by Marissa Meyer (Feb. 4)
Something Real by Heather Demetrios (Feb. 4)
Carousel Sun by Sharon Lee (Feb. 4)

Since I liked to alternate YA and adult books and Carousel Sun is the only adult book on the list, I'll be browsing my TBR mountain to find another adult book or two to read this week.

Reviews Last Week:


My reading binge has got me way ahead on my blogs. I have posts scheduled on Inside of a Dog through Jan. 25 and through Jan. 21 on Ms. Martin Teaches Media. I love this ability to schedule posts. This week's reading will almost certainly finish out my January calendar on both blogs. I have ten books for review in February. Eight are YA and only two are adult. They are also bunched up with four books being released on Feb. 4 and five books being released on Feb. 25.

What are your plans for the week?

24 comments:

  1. Comprehensive list of books. Enjoy them all and have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read more by RainbowR, I enjoyed Attachments. I haven't read a Sandra Brown in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy you have several here I would love to read too. 9 books last week? Could you just read to me> LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. 9 books. Great. I haven't read Wild Invitation, but that is Psy/changeling? Love those books, at the moment I am listening to the first of the Guild Hunters, not so in love with it, lacks warmth of Psy/changeling books, and I'm not huge into vampires, but I will probably read the whole series anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your vacation curled up under the Harry Potter throw...you have some great looking titles ahead. Smoke Screen was one I dug out of the TBR Mountain this past year, and I'm glad I did.

    I plan to read Fangirl some time this New Year. Thanks for visiting my blog, and have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! And I thought I read a lot in a week! Great job! Hope you enjoy this week's reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is my idea of a perfect Christmas! I barely had time to read at all.

    Have a happy reading week!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Break is coming to an end far too quickly for me! Lol. I am sorry bad weather ruined your plans, but bonus reading is good too. :) I need to reorganize as well! I convinced my husband to build custom book shelves for me - now to just wait for him to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is clear you had a lot of time to read! great list of books. Hope this week will give you so much time to read too. Enjoy reading into the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Nine books. Amazing.

    That's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's wonderful to be so far ahead. I'm horrible about scheduling reviews. I hope you have a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, 9 books in a week! That is fantastic.

    I hope you enjoy the rest of your break with your books and your comfy blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always nice when you have time to just relax and read, especially at holiday time. Texas roadhouse, yummy- sorry you didn't make it there! As for your books, I totally agree about Fangirl and I'm looking forward to The Rule of Three, that one sounds great.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curl up and enjoy while you can, we know the calm will not last long :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you are enjoying your reading and snuggling in your Harry Potter throw. It sounds so peaceful. You have a great list of books. Enjoy!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you read a lot! Wonderful when you can just take the time and READ. A pity you had to cut your visit short, though. Enjoy your reading time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you did a lot of reading and you are so organized to have all your blog posts all ready for January. I'm reading The Rule of Three in January. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uh oh, I've put a bunch of books on my TBR list after reading this post! Enjoy the rest of your break. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fangirl is on my to-read list. I read Eleanor & Park this year, and really enjoyed it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to see what you think of Cress! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, nine books is impressive! Your Harry Potter throw sounds cozy. =) Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to read Alienated :) Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grave Dance and Fangirl are two I really want to read although there are a few more on your list I want to read, too! Enjoy, Kathy!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was quite a week of reading! I am thinking I will start doing mini summaries of my TBR shelf books to save a little time. Good idea.
    Have a wonderful 2014 and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!