Sunday, December 22, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 23, 2013)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I am settled at my brother's after the last hectic week with students. I shouldn't have been, but was, surprised at the amount of snow here. So far, Duluth has received at least 30 inches of snow in December. I pulled into the driveway and looked left and right out my car windows and only saw snowbanks. That was a big change from the couple of inches on the ground at home.

Luckily, I don't have to go anywhere and can enjoy a relaxing time at home.

Last Week:

I finished four books last week. The first ones I read finished up my early January review books.
Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill was a cute contemporary reminiscent of the movie The Parent Trap. I loved the dialog. Both main characters were quirky and funny. My review will be posted on Jan. 2.

Alone by Kendra Elliot was a fast-paced thriller with very creepy villains. I enjoyed the characters, the romance and the suspense. My review will be posted on Jan. 4.
With a gap in my reviewing schedule, I decided to browse my own TBR shelves for my vacation reading. 

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill was another cute contemporary about a girl who is spending Spring Break in London but is buddied up with her nemesis who delights in teasing and embarrassing her. Again, the author has quirky characters with unique points of view. My review will be posted on Jan. 9.

Death at Bishop's Keep by Robin Paige was a Victorian mystery that paired an young American women who secretly writes sensational novels with a rich British man who loves science and photography. Together they need to solve a number of mysteries. It is also the first book in a series and was written in 1994. My review will be posted on Jan. 11.

Currently:
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell is next on my TBR stack. I have heard so many good things about it. 

Grave Dance by Kalayna Price was the audiobook I started in the car on the way here. I decided to finish it on my Kindle because I can't wait a week to hear more in this urban fantasy series.

Next Week:

I expect to have lots of reading time this week and so brought these print books along with me.
To Dance with the Devil by Cat Adams is the most recent addition to a series I am enjoying.

One Sweet Ride by Jaci Burton is another in a series I am already reading.
Killing Floor by Lee Child is the first Jack Reacher book. I have been meaning to start this series for a while.

Redshirts by John Scalzi has gotten good reviews. I like the author and I like the concept of the story.
Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy has been off and on my stack all Fall. I hope to finally get to it during this vacation.

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown is a romantic suspense title that has been on my TBR mountain forever.
I picked these two YAs by favorite author to add to my Christmas stack. Bastion by Mercedes Lackey is the most recent in her Valdemar series. Shadows by Robin McKinley is her latest book.
The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau is a YA dystopia. I had a chance to meet the author at ALA which made me curious about her books.

The Girl Is Murder by Kathyrn Miller Haines has been on my TBR stack for quite a while. It is a YA mystery that was nominated for an Edgar Award.

Reviews Last Week:


I hope everyone has a healthy and happy holiday. What are your plans?

6 comments:

  1. I purchased the audio version of The Testing recently. Looking forward to starting it. Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh nice selection! I enjoyed To Dance with the Devil and Kalayna's series! Hope you have a good reading week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you are buried in snow it's over 100f here at 9pm!
    Happy Holidays!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. ENJOY your visit with your brother.

    And...ENJOY your books. Looks like a great week coming up for you.

    Snow is nice when you don't have to go anywhere. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your books look so good! So much snow! Hope you have a great holiday and read lots of good books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redshirts and shadows are on my tbr list!

    Sonia Lal

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!