Friday, July 7, 2017

Friday Memes: Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Had his mount not lost its shoe on the return journey to London after taking the waters in Bath, Atlas Cateby would not have been in a position to purchase another man's wife.
Friday 56 (from 56% of the eARC):
"Very good, sir," Jamie said with a smile, recovering his usual youthful cheeriness. Ah, to be young again. At two-and-thirty, Atlas was hardly ancient, but at times his damnable left foot made him feel one hundred years old.
This week I am reading Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy. I got this eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
In 1810, Atlas Catesby, a brilliant adventurer and youngest son of a baron, is anxious to resume his world travels after a carriage accident left him injured in London. But his plans are derailed when, passing through a country village, he discovers a helpless woman being auctioned off to the highest bidder--by her husband.

In order to save her from being violated by another potential buyer, Atlas purchases the lady, Lilliana, on the spot to set her free. But Lilliana, desperate to be with her young sons and knowing the laws of England give a father all parental rights, refuses to be rescued--until weeks later when her husband is murdered and Atlas is the only one who can help clear her name of the crime.

Fortunately, Atlas is a master at solving complicated puzzles, both with games and the intricacies of human motivation, and finds himself uniquely suited to the task, despite the personal peril it may put him in. But soon Altas learns the dead man had many secrets--and more than a few enemies willing to kill to keep them quiet--in Murder in Mayfair, the first in a new historical mystery series by D. M. Quincy.

13 comments:

  1. Hi! Oh this sounds lovely. and my neighbour has a cat called Atlas. :)

    I really like the style of the narrative, very in tune with the setting and time period.

    Thanks for popping over to mine!

    Luv
    Sassy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful book. And an ARC too..enjoy. I'm reading Difficult Women by Roxanne Gay today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great read, Kathy! Thanks for sharing :)
    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this book and am going to check it out. I found that first sentence very intriguing - purchase a wife?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know about feet making one feel 100 years old. I just injured my feet last week hiking with bad shoes. Ugh. Sounds like a fun book. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what an intriguing story! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Atlas sounds like a thoroughly entertaining character! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sounds of it, and love the title.

    ENJOY, and thanks for coming by my blog earlier.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a super intriguing read! I'm gonna have to check it out! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy,

    I really think need to read this one very soon, as with the second episode due out in early 2018, I think that this is destined to be a long running series.

    I enjoy any thriller or murder mystery, regardless of whether it encompasses a contemporary or historical style of writing and story telling, and this one does of course have reference to the City of Bath, which is literally a few short miles down the road from here.

    Thanks for sharing and 'Happy Reading' with whatever you choose next :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good historical mystery! I will definitely have to look for this one. Thank you for sharing, Kathy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. To purchase another man's wife. I nearly spit my tea all over the computer. LOL That said, this does sound good.

    My Friday 56 from Fifteen Inches Tall And Bullet Proof

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!