Monday, July 31, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 31, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

This was another week of house drama. We got a phone call Friday morning telling us that our Locust Street realtor had abruptly left the agency and that the person on the phone was taking over her accounts. An email from our buyer had been stuck in the former realtor's in-box and listed some of the things she wanted us to fix before the purchase would go through. There were eight items from the mundane to the ridiculous. We agreed to some and refused some others and my brother will drop off our signed agreement today. They also asked to extend the inspection period which we agreed to do. They are the ones in a rush. We are not in any particular hurry to sell the house.

My brother and I are taking a day trip down to my townhouse on Wednesday to pick up my forgotten boxes. It is too early to do any of the signing necessary on the house documents. The realtor will still have to send them up to me to be signed and notarized and sent back to her. At least, I won't have to go down again for the closing. Bill and I will get a chance to spend the day together in the car as we take turns driving. I did promise to take him to one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Rochester for lunch which was enough incentive for him to agree to go along with me. Well, besides the fact that he is a good brother.

This coming week should also see the start of the construction of our new garage and the delivery and installation of my new television. I'll finally be going to a flat screen Smart TV which will be quite an upgrade from my old tube television. In my defense, I don't watch much television. I have Amazon Prime which gives me lots of free TV and movie options but I've been watching them on my computer if something catches my eye. It will be nice to see them on a bigger screen since I also bought an Amazon Fire system.

I have been doing a lot of reading and have just one more book to read before my AUGUST calendar is completed. I'm feeling much more relaxed now that I have rebuilt my one-month cushion. Of course, that causes some problems too. I had to refuse two review requests this week for books that sounded good because I had no place to put them on my calendar. A book will have to sound really extraordinary if it has less than one month lead time. I hate to rearrange my calendar and really can't if I already have review books scheduled for the date a new book would need.

Read Last Week
Snowspelled by Stephanie Burgis is a novella that starts a new adult fantasy series. I loved the characters and the world building and can't wait for more in the world. My review will be posted here on August 24.

Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller was an engaging YA epic fantasy which begins a series. It had excellent world building and intriguing characters. My review will be posted on Ms. Martin Teaches Media August 25.

A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas is the second book in a Victorian mystery series with a female Sherlock Holmes. The story was complex and nicely twisty and had an intriguing main character. My review will be posted here on August 26.
I finished the Enola Holmes middle grade mystery series this week. These were excellent historical mysteries. I'll be reviewing them on Ms. Martin Teaches Media.


Wildfire by Ilona Andrews is the third novel in the Hidden Legacy urban fantasy series. This is a favorite author of mine. When the book downloaded to my Kindle around midnight, I began reading and kept reading until 2:30 AM when I decided I was too tired to read on. My review will be posted here September 14.

Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton is the second in a YA epic fantasy and was an excellent, engaging story. I can't wait for the third book in March 2018. My review will be posted on Ms. Martin Teaches Media August 30.

The Bronze Skies by Catherine Asaro is a science fiction mystery in the Skolian series. These are physics-heavy science fiction stories but with engaging characters. I enjoyed this one. My review will be posted on August 30.

Currently
On the Chase by Katie Ruggle is a romantic suspense title from NetGalley. It is the second in the Rocky Mountain K-9 Unit series.

Next Week

All review books this week.
Her Dark Half by Paige Tyler (Sept. 5)
The Great Shelby Holmes Meets Her Match by Elizabeth Eulberg (Sept. 12)
Nyxia by Scott Reintgen (Sept. 12)
The Equals by Daniel Sweren-Becker (Sept. 12)
All the Secret Places by Anna Carlisle (Sept. 12)
Body on Baker Street by Vicki Delany (Sept. 12)

Reviews Posted
The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky
Blood Gamble by Melissa F. Olson
Just Friends by Tiffany Pitcock
A Wedding Tail by Casey Griffin

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
Wildfire by Ilona Andrews
The Painted Queen by Elizabeth Peters and Joan Hess
Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Buried Heart by Kate Elliott
The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

Additions to my Review Stack:
Sleep Like a Baby by Charlaine Harris (Sept. 26)
Death at the Emerald by R. J. Koreto (Nov. 7)
The Wicked Billionaire by Jackie Ashenden (Oct. 3)
A Spoonful of Magic by Irene Radford (Nov. 7)

What was your week like?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, the first two rows of your books listed above have just got the most beautiful covers!

    I'm also liking the look of Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I've not actually heard of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll totally be beyond me TV-wise. But I, too, do most of my viewing on my computer. The Enola Holmes series certainly looks fun. I'll have to check back for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Review books are both incredibly fun and a lot of work! There's such a difference between wanting to finish a book for a deadline, and because you just need to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to be caught up with a series! I bet you'll love your new TV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, so many things hopping on your end. You must live hours away from your former residence, so it's good you and your brother can take turns driving.

    I've been meaning to read something by Charlaine Harris, as I love the Aurora Teagarden series on Hallmark. And I set my DVR for Midnight, Texas, based on another of her book series.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES



    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lot going on with house stuff! How exciting! yet you're still getting your books read. I like those priorities. :) Gotta have our books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope selling your old house goes more smoothly from now on. You have shown some good books here that I will check out on GR. Thanks for the heads up about Ilona Andrews's other series. I learned through IG that she is a knitter! A knitter met her in person at a book signing or something. Loved that tidbit about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a flat screen but one day would love a Smart TV, although I too watch only a little TV. Oh my imagine when the house sales are all complete and you can focus entirely on the one you are in now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a very busy month. Hope you get all the things done as you want it to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOoh nice! Mostly new to me reads here! I did read Traitor to the Throne earlier this year and loved it! Also ADORED Wicked! I still need to read Torn though! Hope you enjoy this week's new reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to the next Shelby Holmes book. The old place is nearly ready. Meanwhile, we're happily settled in our temporary apartment. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is nice that your brother is going to take the trip with you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have a lot going on! Enjoy the new TV and Amazon Fire setup. There are so many options now besides cable and I'm loving it.

    Mask of shadows looks great, and so does The Equals. I've been curious about Catherine Asaro's books but haven't read any as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read Wildfire as well -- I've hooked my son on Ilona Andrews so it's a bit of a fight for the book. I didn't realize the next Asaro was so close to coming out -- I will check back for your review. I'm also looking forward to the Charlaine Harris -- I've been a longtime fan of the Teagarden series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember the craziness of selling a house. I hope it all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrews is wonderful. I need to start that series. Goodness on the house front. Hope it's a little quieter this coming week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with selling your property. I'm sure the sudden change in sales agent would be unsettling. Enjoy you new TV. I am curious about Amazon Prime now.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!