Monday, July 24, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 24, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

This week was still filled with details about selling houses. We have accepted an offer on the Locust Street house and are now waiting for the assessor and the home inspection. The tentative closing date is August 28.

I have had an offer for my townhouse and we are in the counter offer stage. I made one counter offer, they countered back verbally, and I countered again verbally. I hope to get that settled this coming week once the buyer's realtor gets back from a wedding. My realtor and I had a lot of conversations and emails flew because she was supposed to send me the offer so that I could sign it electronically. However, it didn't arrive and didn't arrive. She finally figured out that they had left one letter out of my email address. Once that was solved, I quickly signed and got it back to her.

I still have to make a trip back to my townhouse because I forgot to pack the boxes in one closet. All my DVDs and some other assorted stuff from my living room are in those boxes. Tentatively my brother and I will make a long one day trip down and back sometime the first week of August. Eight hours of driving is more than I want to drive in one day. It's doable with two of us taking turns driving.

Otherwise, things have been quiet. We have had a few hot days which were capped off by severe thunderstorms on Friday night. Luckily, we didn't have any damage. Coincidentally, these storms happened on the one year anniversary of another set of severe storms. That one took down a tree or two in our yard and ripped enough shingles off the roof that we had to get the roof replaced. The new owner of Locust Street will have one-year old shingles while our new house is sitting with the original 1999 shingles. Would it be tempting fate to ask for hail on the new house's roof?

Read Last Week
Due Diligence by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller is a new novella set in the Liaden Universe. This one tells the story of Daav yos'Phelium's biological father and how he happened to find himself under Korval's eye. I won't be reviewing this one on my blog but you can see my reviews at Amazon, GoodReads, and LibraryThing.

Come Sundown by Nora Roberts was an engaging story but not, I think, one of Roberts's best. My review will be posted here on August 12.
White Hot by Ilona Andrews has been sitting on my Kindle since May. I loved it and can't wait until Tuesday for the third book set in this world. My review will be posted here on August 19.

Heart of the Storm by Michael Buckley is the 3rd book in the Undertow YA trilogy. This science fiction dystopia was action-packed and had great characters. My review will be posted on Ms. Martin Teaches Media August 11.
Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger had been on my Kindle and my radar for a while. It was written in 1998. It is the first of 16 books starring Cork O'Connor and is a mystery set in northern Minnesota. With all those things going for it, I should have started this series years ago. My review will be posted on August 17.

The Pearl Wars (Skyship Academy) by Nick James had been lingering on TBR mountain since 2011. When I was browsing my YA TBR mountain, it caught my eye. This is also a science fiction dystopia told from two points of view. I enjoyed one character much more than the other but intend to carry on reading what is now a series someday. My review will be posted on Ms. Martin Teaches Media August 23.
Hungry for a YA mystery, I discovered the Enola Homes books by Nancy Springer on my TBR mountain. I had read the first one years ago and greatly enjoyed the second and the third this week. I mean, Sherlock Holmes's fourteen-year-old sister solves mysteries in Victorian England! I'll be reviewing these on Ms. Martin Teaches Media.
Currently
Snowspelled by Stephanie Burgis is my current book. It is an adult fantasy. Think Jane Austen with magic. The author offered it to me and, since I've never not loved her books, I didn't hesitate to say yes.

Next Week

It's back to review books for my adult side. Publication dates are in parentheses.
Her Dark Half by Paige Tyler (Sept. 5)
On the Chase by Katie Ruggle (Sept. 5)
The Bronze Skies by Catherine Asara (Sept. 5)
A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas (Sept. 5)

On the YA side, I have one book and then plan to continue exploring TBR mountain.
Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller (August 29)
Mind Games (Lock & Mori) by Heather W. Petty

Reviews Posted
The Hunting Grounds by Katee Robert

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

I had to have the final three books in the Enola Holmes series after finishing book 3.

What was your week like?

21 comments:

  1. How great that the real estate issues are moving along. As for forgetting a box, it's amazing that more wasn't forgotten, with all the various moves you had to coordinate.

    Enjoy....and those books look tempting. Come Sundown looks like one for me.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting n offer. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, all goes well with your real estate deals! The Undertow and Hidden Sins series both sound good to me! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely would not tempt fate. I'm glad your real estate issues are moving so smoothly. Enjoy the start of school (at a distance!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hate moving and packing and everything in between. Will be thinking of you!

    Again, you have some great books listed today. The Pearl Wars and A Conspiracy in Belgravia draws my attention.

    Thank you for stopping by earlier! Happy reading and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Enola Holmes books look like a lot of fun! My 4 year old is sitting with me and she agrees!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your life sounds very busy. :)

    Hope all gets resolved quickly and satisfactorily...at least you don't have to worry about getting ready to go back to school. :)

    ENJOY your books and reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds very complicated - sorting and finalising the house matters but I bet you are glad that the end is in sight. I hope it all gets done quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like busy times and possibly a headache! Hope it continues to move smoothly!

    Nice looking reads too! All totally new to me ones! Hope you enjoy and enjoyed them all!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Nancy Springer series looks like a lot of fun! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you are having a good reading week. Donna from Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad the home sales are moving along. Snowspelled looks good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the drive back to your townhouse! I hope you don't forget something important again- it would be sad to have to drive back the very next day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got the eARC of mask of shadows too! I hope you get everything settled and get all of your houses sold quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good news on the house front! I loved the Cork O'Connor series, although I'm several books behind. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope things with the houses and moving get resolved soon and your life can settle down. I have not read a Nora Roberts book in a while and was wondering about this one. I'll watch for your post. We are big WKK fans and my husband has several of his books. He's sort of a 'local' author for us here in SD. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Snowspelled and your two YA books are on my list to read, although I hadn't seen Snowspelled before, so I had to add it. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh goodness! Exciting happenings. Glad things are moving along for you :) We had a severe storm this week as well and got a lot of lightning. We rarely have that so it was a sight to see! Hope you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I didn't realize it took 8 hours to get there and back between your houses. That's definitely a long trip. I hope things work out smoothly for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you are getting offers. I hope both sales move along well. Our last move (12 years ago) was an 8 hour distance so I can empathize with not wanting the drive.
    The Nancy Springer books look like fun YA mysteries. Got to love the Holmes connection.
    Funny - I was looking at NetGalley titles just yesterday and the Tyler and Ruggle titles were two I put on my possible list.
    I want to check out that Undertow series.
    Hope this week was good. I will (hopefully) be back soon for this week's IMWAYR.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!