Monday, November 6, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (November 6, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

It was a pretty quiet week. I had about 20 trick-or-treaters visit my house - most of them little kids visiting before it got dark and accompanied by parents. There was one large group with the parents all in nice, warm costumes too. 

It took until Thursday for the dusting of snow we got last weekend to melt. Our temperatures did get up to 32 degrees for a few hours this past week. Today it is 38 and mostly cloudy. It looks like rain/snow is expected most days during the coming week with temperatures maybe hitting a high of 44 degrees with lows in the upper 20s. Luckily, I don't have to be anywhere this coming week and don't have to worry about slippery roads. 

I completed my State of the Stack report this week. I was right in thinking that I added more review books than I read. My current review stack is 52 books tall. I'm struggling with my current read but plan on persisting. I DNFed my first book in months this past week too when the combination of werewolves and contemporary romance wasn't working for me.  

On the other hand, I added two review copies this week that I am very eager to read. I almost jumped for joy when I received an email invitation to read Random in Death by J. D. Robb since I am such a huge fan of the series. I was also excited to get Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey since I've been reading books in that world for more than 40 years. 

October Report

I read 35 books in October including 14 review copies. Of the 21 that were mine, thirteen were rereads all but one being via audiobook. I listened to audiobooks for a little over 142 hours this past month. I also managed to read 4 from my TBR pile (books I've had for more than a year). 

Through the end of October, I've read 359 books including 127 Review books. I've read 62 from my TBR pile and listened to 113 audiobooks. I've also reread 100 books.

I added 56 new books to my stack in October including 22 new review copies. My new books included five Kindle Daily Deals and eight from BookBub emails. I added a new category called Reread for books I own in print and purchased in either Kindle or Audiobook format. This month there were 23. Excluding the review books, that means only nine of my new additions were genuinely new to me, unread books. 

I added 9 new audiobooks including four from Chirp, one from Audible Plus and one via Audible Credit. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Carpe Diem by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- Val Con and Miri are marooned on an interdicted planet until they battle an agent of the Department of Interior and find their way back into the greater galaxy.
  • Chaos Terminal by Mur Lafferty (Review; November 7) -- The second in the Midsolar Mysteries was an excellent story filled with a wide variety of aliens and human who needs to solve a murder. My review was posted on November 2.
  • Plan B by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- The scattered members of Clan Korval reunite on Lytaxin which is under attack from the Yxtrang where Val Con claims the ring and determines to bring the war to Liad and the Department of Interior. 
  • Death by Demo by Callie Carpenter (Review; December 5) -- A recently divorced woman is trying to rebuild her life but a body behind a wall she's demoing stands in her way. My review will be posted on November 29.
  • The Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters (Audiobook) -- The 13th Amelia Peabody mystery was a more emotionally intense story than earlier books with more from Ramses's point of view. My review will be posted on December 7.
  • I Dare by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- Lots of threads all following from the declaration of Plan B which ends with the clan relocating to Surebleak.
DNF
  • The Fake Mate by Lana Ferguson (Review; December 5) -- I quit this one at 37% because I wasn't enjoying the combination of contemporary romance and werewolves. 
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

15 comments:

  1. You are truly amazing! Your organization and dedication are inspiring. So glad you've read some great books this month. My TBR pile has books way over a year old, which is annoying. I'll get to them eventually. Hope you have a fabulous week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/11/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my TBR pile is older than one year. I have books sitting unread since 2009.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love hearing about how much you accomplished. #blogginggoals. Is The Curse of Penryth Hall the book you are struggling with? I had such hopes for that one. I do think I might like the Midsolar Mysteries books so I'm gonna have to locate a copy. We only had 6 trick-or-treaters so you beat us. I never dressed up or trick-or-treated as a child so as much as I love Halloween, those are not my favorite parts of the holiday. However, I do love seeing all the little kiddos and always have candy on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I don't think there is anything wrong with The Curse of Penryth Hall except that it is not a Liaden Universe science fiction story. I'm hooked on those right now.

      Delete
  3. We only had 41 trick or treaters which is down from previous years. You are certainly an avid reader! Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some trick or treaters as well, which surprised me since we had snow and it was brrry. Glad to hear the Mur Lafferty was good.

    I like the look of the Kate carlisle too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was great to get the J.D Robb book. You must read all your waking hours to get that many books read in a month! Your weather is sounding very cold to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a great October. Death by Demo looks good. I'll check out your review. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting early access to Lackey and Robb's books! That's always a fun email to get!

    Hope you enjoy your reads lined up for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great October you had! I heard about the Valdemar book. It's been ages since I read one of Lackey's books. I used to love that series. I am looking forward to Death by Demo when it comes out. I'm sorry to hear The Fake Mate didn't work for you. I have my eye on that one. I hope you have a great November and week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you've had snow already. I thought we were going to get snow but now it is supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow! I know we will be in for it eventually, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a great month! Hope you have a great week and enjoy your new reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a great trick-or-treat night.

    And, oh my, it is sooooo cold there! Today it's blue skies and 78 degrees here. We have fantastic falls and winters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a decent Halloween. I didn't get any trick or treaters, but I didn't think I would, I didn't get any last year. Yeah for the In Death ARC! Sounds like a pretty good reading month! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!